. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    the os and emc. I will try it but it 's not top priority atm.

You don't have to install it to try it. Most Linux installation CD/DVD will have a "live" option which is basically a complete OS that runs in RAM without making any changes to your hard disk. If you like it, you can then install it. If you don't, then you can throw the disk away and carry on using Windows. Simples.

Windows user here (I don't use Mach3 but way prefer CNC-USB)

Frankly, I don't care what my operating system is (& I find all the related arguments a bore ....I start self harming after the few argumentative posts are unfurled).

The decision for me was an easy one...... I already know how to drive windows, it seemed a tad excessive to go & learn a new OS just so I can use a CNC app!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 30-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    I already know how to drive windows, it seemed a tad excessive to go & learn a new OS just so I can use a CNC app!
    That's the point most people seem to miss - you don't need to learn a new OS to use LinuxCNC. If you can work out how to double click an icon on the desktop, and shut the computer down then you've mastered all you need to run LinuxCNC. Once loaded LinuxCNC, and ubuntu really, on the surface look like many other programs on windows so it's no more difficult than working out how to use a new program on windows.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

TBH, I don't understand the "learning a new OS" comments as the learning curve is actually very shallow. There's not a great difference between the user friendliness of Windows and Linux. In fact, I might be inclined to argue that Linux is MORE user friendly...but I won't because I didn't start this thread to create yet another Windows vs Linux argument. It's best to pick the tool and expenditure you are most comfortable with, no matter what the OS is.

EDIT: Jonathon wasn't drinking tea and scoffing biscuits while typing and thinking about how the world works...

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    TBH, I don't understand the "learning a new OS" comments as the learning curve is actually very shallow. There's not a great difference between the user friendliness of Windows and Linux. In fact, I might be inclined to argue that Linux is MORE user friendly...but I won't because I didn't start this thread to create yet another Windows vs Linux argument. It's best to pick the tool and expenditure you are most comfortable with, no matter what the OS is

It's not just learning the new OS (& however shallow the learning curve is...it's still a learning curve, getting the OS installed, configuring the drivers, installing apps ....then getting a handle on the new OS interface)), it's that WTF moment when something doesn't quite work as expected ....i.e. is it the OS ...is it the app?

With windows, at least I know how to troubleshoot....not saying I couldn't with Linux etc....but like I say, why go to all the bother for one CNC app when I already know one OS well (& there are CNC apps a plenty for windows)

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    configuring the drivers, installing apps
    You don't need to do that. The installer will automatically select the best drivers and settings for your hardware. All the apps you need should be pre-installed but even if they aren't, you simply start the software manager, search for whatever you want and click install. It will download and install any app automatically from the "repository" of 30K+ apps. The Apple "app store" and Androids "app market" are both ideas stolen from Linux, except they decided to make some money out if it.

Try a LiveCD and see what you think. Linux is not as scary as you might think...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information