. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm part-way through a Warco WM16 mill CNC conversion and just starting out with EMC 2.4. I've used Linux on all my home computers for a number of years and do some programming in Python on a different project. Truth be told, I'm a geek and not scared to admit it.

Sooo, I was just wondering how many of you are using LinuxCNC/EMC on your CNC machines? I don't want to start a Windows vs Linux debate, so please don't post if you're only going to tell us how fantastic Mach is.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    I plan to use linuxcnc/EMC. EMC was designed as industrial class machine control software, just like apache is an industrial class webserver, if you have already gotten over the screaming hysterics of IT'S NOT WINDOWS, I'M SCARED!!! Why not use great free software that you are free to hack the crap out of if you want to?

PS, just incase a windows VS *nix debate does start, please take a look here and choose operating system family from the category option.

List Statistics | TOP500 Supercomputer Sites

There is a reason why windows based supercomputers are a rounding error... ;)

Oh! i'm sorry i did not know there was any other way of using computers other than linux???? I thought Windows were for looking through....thats right just a great big marketing scam.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Inventor of the kernel...Mmmmmm thats right UNIX. Don't get me started here for gods sake.

I will now get off my soap box. Every system has it's place, it's just a case of how much you can spend on marketing that makes it great in the eyes of the beholder. Like the bible there once was a computer, and like the deciples a rouge one went in another direction ripping off his friends :-)

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    that's three then, watch out Bill.

lol

Careful we will take over the world

Make that 4...

I've used Mach3 and LinuxCNC extensively, so to anyone who asks me which I should use I just point out the major advantages/disadvantages then say try both and see which you get on with the best, as in the end that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    No no, that's next year.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    No no, that's next year.
    That is what Linus said, before he got distracted moaning about KDE 4....

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    lol

i've been so tempted to try it, it's just the time that's needed to learn a new system

Whats there to learn? I've done all my stuff on Linux since day one. Just set up dedicated machine. Most thinks are the same you just do it a different way

To free yourself have dual boot machine, slowly install software that you like and eventually you won't boot to windows.....easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information