. .

View Poll Results: Mach3 vs LinuxCNC/EMC What do you use and why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artsoft Mach2/3

16 57.14%
  • LinuxCNC/EMC

6 21.43%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. I use Mach3 as did not know about EMC2 at the time. Still learning fully about Mach (that book is thick and there is a lot to learn). I might have a go at learning the LinuxCNC set up just to get a basic understanding to help myself or others. I have also worked with machines with industrial controllers but I don't think being part of a crew building a 15 ton door press or 120K psi water jet for cutting headliners (which both had their own control software) counts as did not run them.

I have built Linux systems from the ground up and once set up they can run a nice treat (Mostly fedora/red hat). Linux has issues with you must know the language to use the system, windows does not require that. So once again we are at that horses for courses that has been pointed out in another on this board.

Michael
    Last edited by m.marino; 31-12-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: not want nor intended link in post.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I know the Linux guys will jump on this and say it's not so but they are all, for want of a better word,and no disrespect, geeks, who are very, very familiar with the Linux operating system and cannot understand why others are not.
    I think we've established that I fit into the geek category, which I'm happy with. However I'm no more familiar with any Linux based operating system than I am with windows 3.1! When I switched to LinuxCNC I had done no more in linux than use a web browser and play tux racer a few times, but that wasn't an issue since as I said in the other thread about this, you don't need to know about linux if all you're doing is running LinuxCNC. I fail to see how familiarity with the OS helps to run LinuxCNC, since you don't need to make any changes to or with the OS to use it.

That said, I intend to stop using windows soon, as there's no way I'm going to be forced into using Windows 8!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

The main bonus is that Linux doesn't suffer from all the instability and security issues that Windows seems to be renowned for.
    Windows hasn't had stability issues since Windows 98, 15 years ago. A lot of Mach3 users still use Windows 2000.

I use Mach3 because I like Windows. All my other software is written for windows, and since Mach3 runs in Windows, I don't see a need to jump to a different OS.

Mach3 isn't perfect, but I doubt that LinuxCNC is either.

I really hope to have a control with S-curve accel for my next router. If Mach4 doesn't have it in the next year, then I may jump to the K-Flop with their KMotion control software, although I'd probably create a custom front end for it.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I fail to see how familiarity with the OS helps to run LinuxCNC, since you don't need to make any changes to or with the OS to use it.
    Well, the 'puter doesn't build itself, then load the OS itself,then load the app itself - that all needs a human to oversee & if there's a hiccup anywhere, then that's why you need to know your way around the OS ....sure it's not rocket science, but it's a possible time overhead most don't need to incur, because most are using a CNC app running on windows just fine. (or to use the useful Maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!")
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 31-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Why not just be content in using what you are most comfortable with.
    Exactly, I think most people do. (choice)

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Linux does allow you to get under the bonnet and what you do with it is swings and roundabouts. Linux will always be better and still be around way after windows has died :-)
    So dose windows if you know how to use it or should that say "if you're familiar with it" or "comfortable with it", i guess it comes down to the individual, sure windows makes it easy to change some things, but so dose linux. You know it will, given microsoft started out by writing apps for a different os and failing consistently at it, only once somthing changed did they do a good job and then they went of and made their own os. Like Mr Jobs, i'm still waiting for a windows os to show me something that the original os's out there are not already doing or haven't done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I fail to see how familiarity with the OS helps to run LinuxCNC, since you don't need to make any changes to or with the OS to use it.
    Me too, my comments below sum up my thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    That'll be because the 'puter doesn't build itself, then load the OS itself,then load the app itself - that all needs a human to oversee & if there's a hiccup anywhere, then that's why you need to know your way around the OS ....sure it's not rocket science, but it's a possible time overhead most don't need to incur, because most are using a CNC app running on windows just fine. (or to use the useful Maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!")
    I agree that allot of people know their way around a windows os, however i think there is a point being missed by some on this. Doing somthing in a flavor of linux is just as easy as doing the same on a windows os, other than the "time it takes" because the individual may not be so familiar with a linux os.

I dont see why one would need to fall into any kind of category (geek or otherwise) to use linux. I would also put money on the table that installing a linux distro is just as easy if not easier and quicker than installing a windows os. It's about the individual and people, linux has had a number of GUI's for years now guys. This “Linux is for geeks” chant is a load of rubbish if you ask me, linux is just different to what your probably used to seeing/using but its no harder to use.

If there is somthing i dont know about that needs to be done on a windows os that cant be done on a linux box then tell me, if there’s a procedure that needs to be done, share it with us. If i'm wrong, i say im wrong.

Once upon a time John I would have agreed with you that it did take a certain type of person to use or get on with a Linux system but times have changed and like I said above GUI’s have been out for a long time and while an individual would have some aesthetics to get used to, i dont think now days they would need to overcome anything more complicated then learning to use a windows based system for the first time.

That’s what’s cool here though!, we have choice and choice mean’s there is no need for change, only choice.

I appreciate that "most people" are familiar with a windows os and this could be an advantage to them when building a system to run their cnc machine but i dont agree that performing an individual task is harder to do on a linux system now days. Like i said though, if there is somthing you know of that has to be done or is difficult to do on a linux system when you want to use it to run machine control software then please share it with us, i stand to be corrected.

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post

Once upon a time John I would have agreed with you that it did take a certain type of person to use or get on with a Linux system but times have changed and like I said above GUI’s have been out for a long time and while an individual would have some aesthetics to get used to, i dont think now days they would need to overcome anything more complicated then learning to use a windows based system for the first time.
    Had to smile at this because about 4 months ago on another forum I'm on they had this exact same conversation. For the record I didn't take part.
    One guy decided he's take a look and asked advise, now there were two very capable Linux guys on the forum who only use Linux EMC and they started to help this guy out.

Very comical to watch as he got deeper and deeper in trouble starting off with installs that wouldn't. Eventually he just gave up not managing to even get Linux installed.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I agree that allot of people know their way around a windows os, however i think there is a point being missed by some on this. Doing somthing in a flavor of linux is just as easy as doing the same on a windows os, other than the "time it takes" because the individual may not be so familiar with a linux os.
    that's my salient point...I didn't say linux was hard, just different...and anything that's different needs to be learnt (& however shallow the learning curve may be...why bother if you have an app that works on windows already)....& that ahem "time it takes" could be considerable, see John's post immediately above!

This is a No win contest.! The linux guys will always insist linux is best and the Windows brigade will do the same.

Now the problem I see with changing for Windows users, and esp new CNC users is not the Working of EMC or Linux cnc what ever it's called but the whole package.?

Getting a CNC machine to work has a whole needs CAD,CAM and Controller and here lies the problem to me. I personally don't know of any of the top well known or even industry standard Cam packages that work direct in Linux. So not being a linux user I suspect that some windows emulation happens some where down the line and this requires a certain amount of Geek-ness to make happen.
    I'm sure there will be Linux based Cam packages but a quick google and flip thru the linux CNC forum and thread asking about available Cam software showed me it's not straight forward.
    just read the comments on the provided link regards whats needed to make the suggested Cam programs work and then note the lack of reply's.( And it's had 2yrs to mature.!) This says it all to me.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/en...ware-for-linux

Call it what you like but it aint straight forward and requires more technical knowledge of the OS or a variant of several OS's than should be needed to work a CNC machine straight out the box. Windows while flawed does work out the box and even the newest of users can access it and the now plentiful available software without to much trouble.
    A perfect example being Just the other week I learnt a 72yr old gent with virtually no experience of computers other than using the internet how to install, load and use both Cad,Cam (BobCad Cam) and Mach then in the space of a week he'd created his first basic part. (He even understands the basic inner workings of setting mach up IE tuning I know of seasoned Linux users who struggled with that in EMC.!)
    If that had been Linux he'd have had no chance and still be struggling to install the Cad/cam software because he wouldn't now where find any and if he did he wouldn't know how to load the OS or even which version or flavor that runs the emulator that loads windows based program then reload the OS that runs the control software.

Call linux and it's users what you like but it's not simple and they generally do need to be accomplished pewter users or familiar with Several OS Versions or flavors to achieve a task like installing and using all thats needed to work a CNC machine from Idea to finished part.!!

Happy new year.!! (And where all GEEKS by the fact where reading and writing this Crap. !!)

Edit: Just spotted Cambam works in Linux so that's 1 entry level package. That comes with a BIG warning and loads of technical babble just read the thread and post #3 here if you think Linux is not Geeky http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2440.0 )
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-01-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot link

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Happy new year.!! (And where all GEEKS by the fact where reading and writing this Crap. !!)
    Hey you speak for yourself, i didnt understand a word of this thread and whats linux LMAO.... Oh and Happy New Year to you and Yours too...

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information