. .

View Poll Results: Mach3 vs LinuxCNC/EMC What do you use and why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artsoft Mach2/3

16 57.14%
  • LinuxCNC/EMC

6 21.43%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Linux is free software but more importantly its a very stable system in my experience compared to windows. There is also loads of open source (free) engineering ect packages available to download. I started on MS DOS 1.0 and have used every variation since. Ubuntu is loads better than any of the MS stuff I have toiled under!!!

I must of gotten a bum copy of both windows 98, and XP. Both used to hang and crash on a regular basis. I would have to have to reload either package every few months just to keep my machine working. I put Ubuntu on the very same machine and it has been working flawlessly for several years now...

Pray tell us where you can get a reasonably price DECENT CAD / CAM package that's native to linux please ?
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Pray tell us where you can get a reasonably price DECENT CAD / CAM package that's native to linux please ?
    Personally, I use Qcad/LibreCad and then convert to gcode with dxf2gcode and/or hand write gcode. I've read that HeeksCad and HeeksCNC are decent packages but I've not tried them. Not sure on the status of 3D cad packages nowadays, but support was poor when I last looked a few years ago. Having said all that, I only consider free/open source projects but there are a few commercial packages available.

EDIT:
    Just found this link in my bookmarks. Looks decent, but haven't tried it yet. OpenSCAD - The Programmers Solid 3D CAD Modeller
    And of course there's this list of the good, the bad and the ugly: http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam
    Last edited by birchy; 17-02-2013 at 04:55 PM.

John if you want pro then Siemens NX8 if you want to pay for or free then Medusa4

Free CAD software program for Linux and Windows: MEDUSA4 Personal
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Cad seems to be covered, think Draftsight does linux but CAM is the bug bear.
    forget Heekscad unless you have days and weeks to waste.
    John S -

John,
    Sheetcam has a linux disto.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

I run the linux cambam version which works for me

for 2d i use a mix of Librecad and draftsight

My answer to the title question is Mach3 on XP, because that's what the guy I bought the mill from was using and he gave me a copy of the Mach3 config file.
    As a complete newbie to Cad/Cam/CNC it didn't ocurr to me to look for something different, if I ever hit a problem where Mach3 doesn't offer a solution I'll investigate alternatives.
    The Cad/Cam I'm using is BobCad/Cam V25, 4-Axis Standard with BobArt Standard, I can't fault BobCad's training material and support, in addition to forum and email support Al produced a video tutorial showing how best to approach a 4-axis job that was giving me particular problems,

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 24-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information