. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I,ve seen this arc welder on ebay, do you think it will be any good for my needs?

NEW 250 AMP ARC ELECTRIC WELDER WELDING MACHINE | eBay

I,m welding 60mm x 60mm x3mm steel box section.

I want one that will do the job with ease.

I dont want to break the bank.

It wont be used for mass production.

Once the machine is built, then it will only be used as and when required.

Thank you in advance, alex.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    That is actually way more than is required for welding 3mm mild steel.

You could spend half the amount and still do the job fine, any 100-120 amp welder that takes 2.5 or 3.2 mm sticks is all you need for 3mm steel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Input capacity 14 Kw ?
    Do you live close to a power station ?

It's actually OK for 3mm steel, look at the duty cycle - 10% that means flat out 250 amps you can only use it for 1 minute in 10.
    You need to know the 75% duty cycle given you will be positioning, welding, then re-positioning, I'm guessing the 75% duty cycle will be as low as 110 amp which is what you want for 3mm.
    Start checking duty cycles for these 120 amp welders and you will get a shock
    John S -

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Thank you D.C., the one i,m using keeps cutting out, due to the thermal cut out. Its a wizarc?? its an old one, whether thats got to do with it i dont know. I was only getting through 1/2-3/4 rod, then it cut out. The penetration wasn't that great either. Its only got high and low settings, the higher one cut out quicker. I was using 6013 rods, and also thicker ones. The thicker ones couldnt get a start?? I,m able to borrow a better unit with more adjustment, so i will see how i get on with that one.

I live right next door to Mossmoran in Fife. I,ll see how i get on with the other unit, not sure what all the inputs and outputs are, but will check them when i get it. Thanks again.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Chinese. Actually, that's a lie because most kit is made in China nowadays. What I mean is...I wouldn't touch anything unbranded. It's all about guarantees, spare parts and after market support. You'll get no guarantee or warranty with that machine. If it goes wrong, you have to throw it away and buy another. 200A will comfortably weld 12mm thick plate. You would use around 100A and 2.5mm rods for the box section you suggest, so anything 150A+ will be suitable, however I suggest you don't go less than 180A as you will inevitably get some thicker jobs in the future.

The inverter sets are nice to weld with...if you can afford £250ish. THESE are top of the range and will never let you down. Oxford are another good make...especially the old bomb-proof, green oil-cooled sets like THESE. Don't touch Clarke or Silverline, they're no better than that unbranded chinese machine. SIP are made in china but have decent guarantees so if it goes wrong, you can take it back. GYS are French and of decent quality. We have a GYS TIG set at work and it the canine's wotsits.

On a tight budget, I'd be looking at good quality second hand kit rather than low quality new. You could more than likely buy second hand, use it for your job and resell at what you paid.

Or you could just hire or borrow one to do the job.
    Last edited by birchy; 30-12-2012 at 04:17 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to birchy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Chinese.

The inverter sets are nice to weld with...if you can afford £250ish. THESE are top of the range and will never let you down.
    That Esab one is made in China.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    That Esab one is made in China.
    Probably, but you used selective quoting to mock me.

???????
    Not mocking you, you started of wouldn't touch anything Chines then say the Esab is top of the range and won't let you down ?? But it's made in China.

If you want to talk welder then Ok got 2 Tig's, 4 Migs, 2 stick and 2 plasma cutters here, the best two are Chinese and the worst one is a British abortion called a Camarc which was bought as top of the range and I can't wait for the day it expodes which says something seeing as I have to buy it's replacement.

The Chinese 200amp tig will run rings round the 200 amp BOC transtig unit, in fact the transtig hasn't been fired up in 3 years.

Am I in a parallel universe on this forum? first Lee having a pop and now you ?
    John S -

LOL, sounds like a bad day for you. My original context was...

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Chinese. Actually, that's a lie because most kit is made in China nowadays. What I mean is...I wouldn't touch anything unbranded.
    Don't get me wrong, the Chinese are pretty good nowadays and I have a Warco milling machine and a SIP TIG welder. Both are Chinese. Both are superb pieces of kit. Miller welders are manufactured in China and, as you probably know, are the Aston Martin of welders. The main point I am making is that if I'm shelling out £200 on a piece of workshop equipment that I want to last for years rather than weeks, I'd prefer to pay a bit extra for a branded item that will have better quality control, spares, support and a decent guarantee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information