. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As the title would suggest, I am a total CNC newbie, with plans to convert a yet-to-be-purchased lathe to CNC operation. The basic idea is to fabricate odds and sods for my hobby, which is restoring and modifying cars and bikes.

In 'real life' I work in IT, mostly in databases, but have some programming experience. Linux and Perl.

I have lots of tools and a 'get stuck in' attitude which have served well so far.

I have a 3yr old girl, and a boy on the way, so time is limited and progress will be slow!

Love the build threads on the forum and and associated YouTubes!

Be prepared for lots of noddy questions from me (some so noddy that internet searches so far haven't found the answers - so they must be so noddy that nobody feels it's worth documenting the answers!) - please be gentle!

Thanks,

Eggs

Welcome to the forum Eggs.... I think there's somebody on the forum from Tunbridge Wells which is around your neck of the woods..

No question to dumb or daft and it will have been asked I promise you that.!!

If your just 2% unsure of anything then ask.!

As long as it's not a quote for a brake caliper mount.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by eggsBenedict View Post
    As the title would suggest, I am a total CNC newbie, with plans to convert a yet-to-be-purchased lathe to CNC operation. The basic idea is to fabricate odds and sods for my hobby, which is restoring and modifying cars and bikes.

In 'real life' I work in IT, mostly in databases, but have some programming experience. Linux and Perl.

I have lots of tools and a 'get stuck in' attitude which have served well so far.

I have a 3yr old girl, and a boy on the way, so time is limited and progress will be slow!

Love the build threads on the forum and and associated YouTubes!

Be prepared for lots of noddy questions from me (some so noddy that internet searches so far haven't found the answers - so they must be so noddy that nobody feels it's worth documenting the answers!) - please be gentle!

Thanks,

Eggs
    Hey a Welcome to you from Tunbridge wells, I've been at this a while and still Know nothing compared to these guys but then what use is a hobby that you know every thing about in 5 Mins ? These guys will give you no frills answers and a few of them are from up north so they are always gentle LOL But then they know their stuff, I'm Sure you will enjoy the banter and remember that's all it is, Welcome to the forum, and Good luck with your project. Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Thanks guys - already found some 'partial' answers! Thanks again - sure I'll be reaching out, and cool to have guys local. I'm probably more northern than most on here, having been born in Carlisle (just the right side of the border ;-) ), but been a shandy drinking* southern wuss for most of my life :).

Thanks again!

Eggs

* not really - I'm an ale man by choice...

Quote Originally Posted by eggsBenedict View Post
    I'm probably more northern than most on here, having been born in Carlisle (just the right side of the border ;-) ), but been a shandy drinking* southern wuss for most of my life :).
    Careful careful there's quite a few on here from the wrong side of the border ( Except John S who's from the DARK SIDE and makes EVIL SKELETOR look like a PUSSY ) thou to be honest most of them I've had dealings with speak with a funny accent and there's no "Oh siz yuzz Jimmy" in it.?? . . . Been either " Southern Jessy's" or " Texas rangers" . . . Lol

Hi Eggs, You'll Find this lot Scambling to assist, Irrespective of accent or Geographical impediment (Not looking towards Jazz honest! cos I want to pick his brainz ).

It's Great being a Newbie, Where taking over the world with over enthusiastic froth.
    Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by BedlamRik View Post
    Hi Eggs,

It's Great being a Newbie, Where taking over the world with over enthusiastic froth.
    Rick.
    If I went for little taglines underneath my sig, I'd nick that one!

*Takes Bow*

A quick wit and an affinity with with arts of sarcasm go hand in hand when you wear body armour for a living.

I just need to learn the art of CNC, and I'll be on my way to CNC-Ninjadom, and global domination of my Garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information