. .
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Have you thought about just using one belt and one motor and drive, I use two motors but quite a few on here use one as it is easier to home and stops the problem of racking etc. Just a thought!
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Have you thought about just using one belt and one motor and drive, I use two motors but quite a few on here use one as it is easier to home and stops the problem of racking etc. Just a thought!

I haven't but I suppose I could easily use one keeping the same design. In fact, I'm not sure how I ended up with two motors in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    I haven't but I suppose I could easily use one keeping the same design. In fact, I'm not sure how I ended up with two motors in the first place...
    There are pro's and con's for the two systems I don't think there is much difference in cost between the two.
    With two motors you will need two homing switches and a controller that can do the slaving correctly and also have the alarm outputs on the drives working in case one motor stalls and then the other will rack the system.
    Dean (Jazzcnc) usually uses one motor but I think on the machine he is now using it has two.
    I use two motors and I am happy with it.
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Dean (Jazzcnc) usually uses one motor but I think on the machine he is now using it has two.
    I use two motors and I am happy with it.
    Yes it has but only because I inerited the machine it probably wouldn't if I built it my self.! . . . Thou It's just on the edge of too big for belts so maybe not.?

On large machines 2 motors make more sense because the belts get messy and custom lengths. At this size and with this design then I'd 100% be using belts.
    It's only slightly cheaper in cost but much more reliable and stable in use. Can make full use of the machines potential and not worry about screws running out of sync with each other.

If using 2 motors then the ONLY way I'll use them is if the drives have Stall detect with fault output to E-stop the machine ie: EM806 or AM882 . Also external motion control card is prefered due to higher work load. (Personaly I won't use the Parallel port on any machine)

Hmm maybe I will stick with one motor and use a single large belt. I don't think it will require much modification (whilst still having the potential to run 2 motors in the future). Just need to make sure I can tension the belt well. I'm thinking of a simple idler pulley which I can slide in a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    Hmm maybe I will stick with one motor and use a single large belt. I don't think it will require much modification (whilst still having the potential to run 2 motors in the future). Just need to make sure I can tension the belt well. I'm thinking of a simple idler pulley which I can slide in a slot.
    You will need to make sure there are enough teeth engaged on the pulley with the belt. Also if you want to put material through the back of the machine the belt would have to be routed accordingly.
    ..Clive

Something like below? The bottom idler pulleys on both sides sit in slots for adjusting tension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt1.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	16952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt2.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	16953
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 30-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.

You don't need to spend money on pulleys just to use them as tensioners.

9. What ability have you got for machining the aluminium? If only basic tools like me then you could probably lose some of the pockets. Would help with adjustment later too ?

Too many idlers drop try to keep to a minimum you'll get away with just one. Belt will be above the profile but doesn't matter because you'll want to cover it up anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt2.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	16969

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread Information