. .
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Hmmm I think its probably best to disassemble the gantry from the base and re assemble everything checking alignment more strictly as I go...at least I now know it all goes together!

Right, time to order a DTI (don't shoot me, probably where I went wrong in the first place!). Should I go for lever or plunger type? Lever appears more expensive but if it's going to be more useful then I don't mind. I'm looking here: http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/precisio...ial-indicators

While I'm at it, is there any other piece of measurement equipment (straight edge etc.) that is worth buying for setting things up?

Cheers!!

I think you could use either to align the second rail. Be aware you also need the connecting rods to hold the indicator in place and ideally a mag base. You can buy Mitutoyo (v good quality) but for DIY I'd look on eBay. You can get a DTI, adjustable rods and mag base as a set for under £20.

Mine were both mid price units from ArcEuro
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Cheers for the help, I was looking at mitutoyo but will have a look at those cheap ones too.

I can't yet see how exactly to use a DTI to align the rails?

Fix 1st rail by pushing it tight against a known straight edge. If you don't have one you'll have to skip that for now and assume it is straight.
    Put one carriage on the rail put the mag base on the carriage and use rods to reach across to the other loose rail and put the DTI touching the other loose rail. Run the carriage on the 1st rail back and forth (which will move the DTI)and nudge the 2nd rail until the needle doesn't move any more. This will at least set them parallel to each other.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

I'm still alive!

Time and money (lack of) have been slowing me down with this project but just ordered the pieces for my control box :)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    I'm still alive!

Time and money (lack of) have been slowing me down with this project but just ordered the pieces for my control box :)
    Welcome back, I want to see this machine finished
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

OK, time to start thinking about tooling. Wheres the best place to buy some flutes and am I better buying a set or individual? What are the most common sizes etc? I'm guessing there's not really an answer to that?

I'm getting very close to finishing....watch this space!

I'm watching...I'm watching....looking forward to seeing it making chips
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread Information