. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello There
    It took me 3month to build cnc router
    I am wondering where did missed
    My specs are as follows
    Working area:4*8 feet
    Actuation:TBI ball screws 3210 2510 and 1610 for xyz axis respectively And hiwin linear guide and bearing.
    Stepper motor: 1200oz-in (4.5 amp & 70v) and drive are of 6 amps 80v ac )
    Power supply: i have provided 80v and 6amp to each stepper /driver.
    I am running my cnc router 6mtr/m
    Successfully when drives is set on 6amp
    My stepper motor heats like hell
    When i reduce current my max speed also get reduced.
    Recently my friend showed broucher of some company.
    Company is claiming that max speed will be 25mtr/m that seriously gives me an anxiety. This is hard to believe where did i missed. Why i cant achieve this speed.
    And one more thing is that they are using rack and pinion.
    How this is possible.
    My steppers stalls whenever i try to go above 6mtr/m

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

2. It will be rack and pinion, you can't get that speed with ball screws on a machine this size, unless you have ballscrew with a high lead and large diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by kmeshal9 View Post
    Hello There
    It took me 3month to build cnc router
    I am wondering where did missed
    My specs are as follows
    Working area:4*8 feet
    Actuation:TBI ball screws 3210 2510 and 1610 for xyz axis respectively And hiwin linear guide and bearing.
    Stepper motor: 1200oz-in (4.5 amp & 70v) and drive are of 6 amps 80v ac )
    Power supply: i have provided 80v and 6amp to each stepper /driver.
    I am running my cnc router 6mtr/m
    Successfully when drives is set on 6amp
    My stepper motor heats like hell
    When i reduce current my max speed also get reduced.
    Recently my friend showed broucher of some company.
    Company is claiming that max speed will be 25mtr/m that seriously gives me an anxiety. This is hard to believe where did i missed. Why i cant achieve this speed.
    And one more thing is that they are using rack and pinion.
    How this is possible.
    My steppers stalls whenever i try to go above 6mtr/m

Thanks 4 replying After looking for day
    I get it
    I am planning to replace my
    My ball screws with ball screws with pitch 25 or 30.

Quote Originally Posted by kmeshal9 View Post
    Thanks 4 replying After looking for day
    I get it
    I am planning to replace my
    My ball screws with ball screws with pitch 25 or 30.

The higher the pitch of ballscrew the lower the resolution accuracy there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Or you could use rotating nuts on a xx10 screw as the one you have

Anyway, what you are missing is that the company you are comparing to uses Servo motors, not steppers. you also do not state how heavy is your gantry. Also nowhere the acceleration is stated. And that could mean a lot. One thing is sure- you can not achieve real life cutting speed as this with stepper motors in any way and accuracy at the same time.

For your reference i move my 200kg gantry with acceleration 3000mms2 20m/min 2x400W AC servos 230V and 2 rotating ball nuts on 2510 screw. I can hit even 30m/min as my motors can spin faster than 3000rpm up to 5000. Your steppers are good to much lower speed , you probably need to drive them harder with better PSu at higher voltage and so on. So don't compare your machine with an overbuild commercial machine where they simply put some serious servos which are driven at 230V

PS. Machining at high speeds especially more than 10m/min and Hi Speed toolpaths makes that nuts and screw heat very seriously. You must make sure all is perfectly clean and greased properly
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 31-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

6. its not just the speed of the motors, its also the critical speed of the ballscrew.
    a 25mm diameter ballscrew that is 2000mm long and using a rotating nut has a critical speed of about 1400 RPM.
    There is a critical speed calculator on our site in this link.
    http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/inde...lculators.html

However motor speed is clearly enabling you to get a higher speed, but by pushing the screws too much, you could damage the screws.
    Alos remember, that a servo system has a much higher resolution than a stepper system, so if using servos, you can use a higher lead and not loose out too much on the overall resolution, and then spin the screw rather than the nut.
    Also consider the application, may not need a high resolution, if used for wood, thats why a lot of commercial machines like routers and plasma and water cutting machines use rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Or you could use rotating nuts on a xx10 screw as the one you have

Anyway, what you are missing is that the company you are comparing to uses Servo motors, not steppers. you also do not state how heavy is your gantry. Also nowhere the acceleration is stated. And that could mean a lot. One thing is sure- you can not achieve real life cutting speed as this with stepper motors in any way and accuracy at the same time.

For your reference i move my 200kg gantry with acceleration 3000mms2 20m/min 2x400W AC servos 230V and 2 rotating ball nuts on 2510 screw. I can hit even 30m/min as my motors can spin faster than 3000rpm up to 5000. Your steppers are good to much lower speed , you probably need to drive them harder with better PSu at higher voltage and so on. So don't compare your machine with an overbuild commercial machine where they simply put some serious servos which are driven at 230V

PS. Machining at high speeds especially more than 10m/min and Hi Speed toolpaths makes that nuts and screw heat very seriously. You must make sure all is perfectly clean and greased properly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary For This Useful Post:

I agree, but now that he has the screws to change them with rack seems a big waste to me.

I have scrapped a few R&P systems from commercial magazine printers and they are always set up anti backlash with 2 pinions with 2 motors, unfortunately I stupidly let this stuff go the the scrap yard.

R&P has another advantage over the ballscrew I've been toying with a dual gantry for an 8*4 setup the idea being I can use park 1 gantry at the end for normal large operations or use both gantries (One a clone) to turn the router into 2 4*4 router's working on the identical jobs.

Whilst you could do this with 4 ballscrews you only need 2 racks (But 8 Pinions lol)
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-07-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

10. Absolutely, my point was not to advise a change.
    I was only pointing out that there is more to it than just resolution, and you need to also consider the critical speed on the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I agree, but now that he has the screws to change them with rack seems a big waste to me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary For This Useful Post:

I still think using rack and pinion is mainly for 2 reasons: the size of machine and the ability to put together a long machine from short separate pieces and make it as long as you wish. At least that's how is in my eyes. Maybe also the ability to be hidden and facing downwards in a very polluted environment

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information