. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My rear plates are between 180-200 wide which I find is good balance between strength and space saving for a small machine. On larger machine I will try to make wide has possible to get most ridgidty. Carriage separation I make wide has possible and take the bearings to the edges of plates. Vertical Separation is roughly half the rails length.

Regards the pockets then it depends on the material your using.? If your using Ground cast plate then no because it defeats the object of the plate being ground. If just rolled Plate then yes it needs to be machined because it's often not flat.
    If using Ground plate and you want registers for the bearings then Mill some Aluminium blocks or dowels into the plate inline with the edge but slightly overhanging the bearing side then secure with loctite.
    Then Machine away the overhanging part to give your reference edge but set cutting tool flush with ground surface so not cut away. In practice it's actually much quicker than buying rolled plate and machining away pockets and more accurate.
    Personally I tell people not to bother unless they are sure the whole machine is accurate from base upwards because they make adjustment much harder and in flexible.
    In an idle world then yes you'd have them but the reality is that building in your Man cave then in-accurecy is sure fire going to be there so any thing to help adjust error out is welcome.
    Also in DIY setting then it's unlikely you'll be chasing Um accurecy and neither will you be stripping it down every other week. So provided you take care when setting up and use good quality fasteners, tighten them up properly and use retainer then you'll not have any troubles and chasing away error will be so much easier.

One potential Gotcha I spotted on your drawing. The holes in the Top and bottom plate which fasten them to the rear plate may interfear with the bolts on the Gantry bearings.? Easy done so check it.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-11-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Thread Information