. .
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    I really need to pick this project back up! Been having some thoughts recently and have come to the realisation that what I really need is a machine capable of cutting aluminium more than anything else. I'd really like to mill enclosures for my many electronics projects. Perhaps I need a re-think on the complete design!

Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    I really need to pick this project back up! Been having some thoughts recently and have come to the realisation that what I really need is a machine capable of cutting aluminium more than anything else. I'd really like to mill enclosures for my many electronics projects. Perhaps I need a re-think on the complete design!
    The design you had wasn't too far away from cutting aluminium. It could benefit from a better/stronger base and the the linear stage for the Z axis isn't really up to aluminium but the general layout of high sides with gantry sat on rails is perfect for aluminium. Gantry design is nice and strong enough for aluminium.
    If you sat that lot on nice piece of machine tooling plate or better still Granite base the frame would be sound for aluminum. Ditch the linear stage and put a conventional Z axis with decent rails etc and your sorted.

Some encouraging words there, thanks Jazz! When you say "sit the lot on machine tooling plate or granite..." which bit are you referring to?

Some encouraging words there, thanks Jazz! When you say "sit the lot on machine tooling plate or granite..." which bit are you referring to?
    Your design doesn't show any base and looks like it sits directly on table.? So I mean put EVERYTHING on solid flat foundation.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-10-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Ahh I see, yes your right. I'm not 100% happy with the useable z height I get either. I think I will redesign the z axis but may also have to increase the height of the gantry sides. I could do with finding a 'cheap' solid solution for the bed too...

Not sure if to consider coolant at this point either!

Not sure if to consider coolant at this point either!
    Yes 100% consider it and also cable routing etc.

Cutting aluminium correctly will need a minimum of blown air and idealy minimum qty coolant ie: Fogless mister. Don't need full flood but better if can have it.

I think an aluminium bed with t-track bolted to it looks like a good idea. Just need to find some for a reasonable cost!

I may of found a cheaper solution. "MakerBeam" is a 10x10mm extrusion and relatively cheap. I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed Beams.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	16364
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed Beams2.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	16365

For the bed plate itself (shown in green). What would be the most cost-effective solution? The dimensions are 725x825mm. Steel or aluminium? What thickness would suffice?
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 25-10-2015 at 09:42 PM.

I might of solved my bed problems! Look what I found in the skip at work today (along with other goodies)... It's 6mm steel plate. The dimensions are perfect for the machine to sit on. The raised area in the middle also looks perfect for mounting a bed (aluminium plate or t-slot plate perhaps?). My only concern is how flat and level the plate is. I was thinking it doesn't matter too much if I skim the aluminium plate (or whatever) with the machine once it's built?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445973596624.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	16387

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information