. .
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    I only went for more idlers to keep the belt beneath the extrusion...maybe I'll have a re-think.

On a side note, starting to look at my electronics setup. I think these motors look reasonable?: SY60STH86-3008*

I've gone with your suggestion Dean but kept the slots in the plates so I've got flexibility in the future.

The cover needs work but looks like this now. It's starting to feel like the ends in sight!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt3.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	16996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt4.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	16997

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    What ability have you got for machining the aluminium? If only basic tools like me then you could probably lose some of the pockets. Would help with adjustment later too ?
    Hi Joe,

I'm going to put an RFQ up to get all the pieces machined. If only I had a mill to start with!

Word of warning before commiting fully to this route.? Make sure you can buy a long enough belt of the shelf other wise it means having custom length belts made. Not a Big issue but still worth thinking about now.

The available belt lengths may also mean changing the location of the tensioners so work out the belt length needed for how you have it drawn now and see if belts are available that will work.

Oh Happy new year.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-01-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Word of warning before commiting fully to this route.? Make sure you can buy a long enough belt of the shelf other wise it means having custom length belts made. Not a Big issue but still worth thinking about now.

The available belt lengths may also mean changing the location of the tensioners so work out the belt length needed for how you have it drawn now and see if belts are available that will work.

Oh Happy new year.!
    Belt comes in at ~1.56m. Ive used this place a few times and they have belts up to 2.5m:
    http://www.beltingonline.com/5mm-htd...ifo3qcvkih53b6

Happy new year everyone! :)

6. Happy new year chaps

7. reading this and the recent thread on controllers is tempting me back to the 3 stepper and belt option! I can feel another redesign coming on for 2016. Good luck Looking forward to seeing this project become a reality...
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 01-01-2016 at 09:51 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Too many idlers drop try to keep to a minimum you'll get away with just one. Belt will be above the profile but doesn't matter because you'll want to cover it up anyway.

Attachment 16969
    Jazz, is there enough engagement on the top right pulley? What's the minimum? you could add one more like this?? I Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451651545.184148.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	17005
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 01-01-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Jazz, is there enough engagement on the top right pulley? What's the minimum? you could add one more like this?? I Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451651545.184148.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	17005
    The spec. for HTD belts say make sure to have 5 teeth engaged. This is based on ensuring that with a sufficiently high load, the belt will snap instead of the teeth ripping off. This hardly matters to us, as we're not using the belts at close to their load ratings, however we do want to get good stiffness from the belts (especially with such a long best) so it seems a reasonable baseline to design for at least 5 teeth engaged.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info. With a 20T pulley I should have around 5 teeth engaged with what looks like a quarter of the pulley.

On a side note, I am currently looking at my bed plate design. I have put in a recessed hole to insert a standard kitchen sink waste hole. Is this OK or is there a preferred method? Also wondering if to move it to the corner and tilt the machine towards it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed1.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	17031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed2.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	17032
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 01-01-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information