. .
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Not touched the mechanical design for a while as I got distracted down the route of designing my own stepper driver...

So here's a small update. I'm feeling quite bad for how much this is looking like one of JAZZ's machines! Believe it or not I am not trying to copy you Clive!

I am still not happy with the way I have the Y axis plates attached to the steel box section. Think I need to come up with something better?...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress.JPG 
Views:	419 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	12993

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Believe it or not I am not trying to copy you Clive!
    If you was, I would be more than excited, but I don't see the resemblance to mine if it is me you are referring too. ..Clive

Name:	CIMG1807.JPG 
Views:	567 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	12994

Oops! I meant Dean...it's been a long day.

Nice machine though! :)

Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    Oops! I meant Dean...it's been a long day.

Nice machine though! :)
    No problem with copying my stuff and you wouldn't go far wrong copying clives either it's an excellent machine.!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No problem with copying my stuff and you wouldn't go far wrong copying clives either it's an excellent machine.!
    Your so kind. But I wouldn't go that far ..Clive

I think the end is nearly in sight!!

All steel plate is currently 3mm ("Y axis "end stops" and end plate attaching bed), should I make this thicker? Will there be any problems welding it to 3mm thick box section? I have a friend who works at a laser cutting place so I'm hoping to get those pieces cut there.

Name:	nearly1.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	13008

Name:	nearly2.JPG 
Views:	366 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	13009

Name:	nearly3.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	13010

Name:	nearly4.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	13011

Name:	nearly5.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	13012
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 11-08-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Any comments on the above would be appreciated =) I think I need to start looking at places to get the aluminium milled soon!

I've been a bit distracted with designing my own stepper drivers but going to put that to the side until I have the mechanical design all done.
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 05-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.

I think it would be better to extend the Z axis rear plate to meet up with the bottom plate, like this; it's not shown on this photo but my ball nut fits on the inside of that plate.

Name:	Z1.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	13312

3mm plate is too thin I reckon, I used 10mm flat bar for brackets, maybe 6mm would do, see what others say about it.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thanks for the input Eddy!

Well it's been a long time since my last post and since then there have been some large changes... Now, I am fully awaiting the groans and face palms when I say this....

I have decided to return to using aluminium profile for the frame. The reasons being:

1) My welding skills are not quite there. They aren't bad but I envisage a lot of trouble trying to get things square and aligned correctly.
    2) I now have free access to a water jet which I plan to cut beefy steel brackets from to connect the profile together with.
    3) I have re-evaluated what I will mainly be realistically cutting and steel may be OTT!

Anyway, enough excuses. Here's the latest design. I would really like to get the ball rolling with the custom aluminium parts. Am I best posting on the job request page and going from there?

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n1.JPG 
Views:	1163 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	13543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n2.JPG 
Views:	1152 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	13544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n3.JPG 
Views:	1217 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	13545  

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information