. .
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    Good tips! Hopefully I will get some time over the weekend to practice with my new tools :) Still got a LOT of design work to do...I'm thinking of moving away from the FF blocks + aluminium plate for the Y axis and maybe just using steel channel (or angle) welded to the box section and mounting BK blocks to it? One of my biggest concerns for the whole project is actually drilling accurate/straight holes! I have a pillar drill but it is pretty useless as there is a lot of slop in the chuck.
    Anyone got any opinions on the above? I appear to be coming to a point where I'm not sure where to go next. Still not happy with the X motor on the outside of the gantry plate either :(

I wouldn't worry too much about the stepper sticking out the side of the gantry (I'd have called that the Y stepper but there's no hard and fast rules) as it's just basically a metal lump there's not a huge amount to go wrong as you have it. If you can't design it such that it's internal maybe consider sticking a bent aluminium box around it. I managed to squeeze my Y stepper inside the gantry (see here) but it's pretty tight and I expect to be replacing the belt more frequently that usual. That's not quite the final design that I've gone for but it shows the basic layout.

I am now looking at the Y axis ballscrew mounts in a little more detail. In the screenshot below how is the bearing mount attached to the steel box section? (Does anyone have a link to this build thread btw?)

Attachment 12854

I assume that there's another piece of welded steel plate on the end of the box section? As below?

Attachment 12855

While I am on the subject of the "end plate", I assume some sort of adjustment will need to be built in to allow movement in the Z axis as if I use the epoxy method on the box section then it's going to add some height?

Dave
    Is anyone able to answer any of the above? It would be great if there was a link for the red router listed?

Cheers,

Dave

Is anyone able to answer any of the above? It would be great if there was a link for the red router listed?

Cheers,

Dave
    Again it's one of mine Dave and no build thread as these where built by me for someone off forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Again it's one of mine Dave and no build thread as these where built by me for someone off forum.
    No problem JAZZ. I'm currently making some changes as we speak. A few questions are now arising:

1. What pulleys do most people go for? XL? Not sure on pitch etc.
    2. Is there a way of extending motor shafts so that I can overcome this problem below?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New mount length.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	12908

3. Is 10mm of motor mount adjustment enough for belt tensioning?

Name:	New inner mount.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	12907

Some progress on the Y axis too:

Name:	New Y axis.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	12909

Name:	new y axis 2.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	12910

Name:	update.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	12911
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 27-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.

What most people do is rout out a recess for the stepper to mount in so you've got only maybe 5mm of material where the stepper sits (see here). That way you generally get enough shaft to mount a pulley on directly without needing an extension.

I don't think 10mm of movement will be enough for tensioning, especially not on a long belt. I'd go for more like 25 or 30mm if you can.

#1 Use 15mm wide 5mm pitch HTD pulleys and belts.

#2 Need extensions made on lathe but much easier to use BK/BF bearings inot profile and belt/pulley like shown in my picture on other thread.

#3 20mm slot.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Tonight's updates:

Name:	x axis new1.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	12923

Still not 100% sure on the way I have attached the "end plates" as seen below. I.e. using 5mm steel plate welded to the box section and tapped with two M6 threads.

Name:	x axis new2.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	12924

Name:	y axis new1.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	12925
    Last edited by biketrialsdave; 28-07-2014 at 08:53 PM.

The stepper in the first two pictures looks large for the size of machine you are building, are the 34s? I would have thought 23's would be enough for a machine of this size, especially if you have slaved motors.

The connection between the gantry screw and the top plate (third picture) looks like a weak point. I'd try and make it thick enough that it covers most of the body of the ballnut.

They are 23's. I think the model I am using has a particularly long body.

I agree with the ballscrew mount. Could make it 20mm plate (from 15) or increase that joint some other way...

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information