. .
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    I've made some big progress over the past few weeks. Hopefully some photo's to come once a parcel arrives this week! :)

In the mean time, I'm starting to think about CAM software. I've looked at BobCad and CAMBAM. Not looking to spend an awful lot (for now). What would be everyone's recommendations for an easy to use package that will give me a good introduction to CAM?

You could have a look at Estlcam, the demo is free, and if you like it, it is only 50 Euros or so to licence it. It has a lot of features and I have just done my first job with it. There are video tutorials on t'Interweb. There are some aspects I don't like - I found it easier to start again from the dxf file if I messed up a toolpath (rather than deleting the toolpath - which seemed impossible) Maybe I will get better at using it, but if I find foibles which need to be sorted, I will address them with the author (Christian Knuell). In my correspondance about licensing, he seems happy to help.

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    I've made some big progress over the past few weeks. Hopefully some photo's to come once a parcel arrives this week! :)

In the mean time, I'm starting to think about CAM software. I've looked at BobCad and CAMBAM. Not looking to spend an awful lot (for now). What would be everyone's recommendations for an easy to use package that will give me a good introduction to CAM?
    Fusion 360 has been banded abut on the forum recently it is a cad and cam package and I believe free for a year and then you only have to register for hobby use.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Fusion 360 has been banded abut on the forum recently it is a cad and cam package and I believe free for a year and then you only have to register for hobby use.
    Ooh this looks very interesting!

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

I've got CamBam and EstlCam and both have their merits for me. If you've already drawn your object as a dxf and it's only simple machining then EstlCam is great as you don't have to join all the different lines that make up your shape. If you want to just draw something simple and then do the CAM on it then CamBam is good. I don't do anything complicated so can't comment for 3D shapes but for simple things (parts for RC planes, plastic thrust bearings, simple plastic parts etc.) both programs are easy to use and good.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I've not posted for a while but a lot has happened!

* I've received all the custom aluminium parts
    * Ordered stepper motors and AM882's
    * Ordered all ballscrews and linear rail for z-axis

Just need to make some more money before I can continue the spending! I'll put some photo's up soon...

8. Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    I've not posted for a while but a lot has happened!

* I've received all the custom aluminium parts
    * Ordered stepper motors and AM882's
    * Ordered all ballscrews and linear rail for z-axis

Just need to make some more money before I can continue the spending! I'll put some photo's up soon...
    It will be like Christmas morning!

It certainly is like Christmas in my house at the moment...the girlfriend isn't too impressed with the number of boxes and smell of machine oil in my office though!

I am starting to get a little worried that my machine is going to be incredibly heavy. The parts for the Z-axis assembly alone weigh a ton! (Not literally, I am going to weigh them later). I just hope my 3Nm steppers are up to the job...yes, I know I should of done the calculations beforehand but I got carried away with buying shiny things!

10. Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post
    It certainly is like Christmas in my house at the moment...the girlfriend isn't too impressed with the number of boxes and smell of machine oil in my office though!

I am starting to get a little worried that my machine is going to be incredibly heavy. The parts for the Z-axis assembly alone weigh a ton! (Not literally, I am going to weigh them later). I just hope my 3Nm steppers are up to the job...yes, I know I should of done the calculations beforehand but I got carried away with buying shiny things!
    Haha know the feeling. There have been some pretty beasty machines on here powered with those motors so I'd have thought they will be fine.. Looking forward to the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by biketrialsdave View Post

I've got a sodding great big 40mm front plate that my 2.2kw spindle hangs off and my 3Nm stepper whizzes it up and down no problem so you'll be fine!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information