. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last night I was making my first real part (as opposed to playing) on my converted SX2 mill. I was profiling a clock part out of gauge plate.

First attempt went well until on the second pass the 2 mm. end mill snapped. I changed the cutter, reduced the feed rate, and things were going well until dinner was ready. I paused the job but left the computer on so that I could continue where I had left off. When I came back the computer had died. It wouldn't even boot the BIOS, just sat there making occasional beeping noises. B****r

Russell.

2. The POST beeping is often related to memory or video card, So I would remove the memory sticks and video card, make sure there is no dust in the slots, and then refit.

If you are lucky eveything will work fine again.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

If you look inside for the model number of the motherboard you can find the manual which will details what each of the start-up beep codes mean.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you look inside for the model number of the motherboard you can find the manual which will details what each of the start-up beep codes mean.
    OR take it outside and beat to a pulp with that ruined gauge plate then reverse the car over it then setting on fire before launching it into outer space with all that pent up frustration and anger.!! . . . . . Works every time for ME . . . . . . . .That's why I'm such a mellow bloke.!!

wouldn't have happened with Linux.

(cos you would never have got off the ground in the first place - boom, boom!)

I can certainly relate to your problems though - at one time it seemed like every CNC session I had, resulted in a WTF moment...now after two years, it's every other CNC session!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 03-01-2013 at 08:53 PM.

as much as I'm loathed to say it... I'm with jazz on this one, computers have that ability to press my nuke button
    they just never tire of getting on your tit's

I once punched a desktop off the desktop and managed to get another punch in before it hit the ground... alas, the satisfaction as sweet as it is only lasts for about eight tenths of a second
    its probably better to go and throw rocks in the river for a spell :)

I find threatening Technology with gratuitous violence works wonders.

Failing that, make a sacrifice to placate the machine god, and anoint with sacred WD40.

when all other avenues are exhausted, then read the manual...

Had a Musical Beep fest from my PC the other week, turned out that the beeps meant , "Power crowbar" which is nearly what happened to it, I since found out that translated to "Power supply Bolloxed buy a new one."

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor View Post
    The POST beeping is often related to memory or video card, So I would remove the memory sticks and video card, make sure there is no dust in the slots, and then refit.

If you are lucky eveything will work fine again.
    Thanks. It is a compact Dell computer so difficult to get into so 10 min to work out how to take the covers off (sliding catch as part of the moulding) and another 10 min to work out how to remove the DVD and Floppy drives (another hidden catch). I could then see the memory stick. I removed it, gave the contacts a wipe and refitted et voila! it worked.

Fortunately I had made a note of the X-Y coordinates when it stopped and hadn't moved anything since so I was able to restart the job and finish it. It was a click spring for a clock with a blade only 0.5 mm wide profiled out of 1/8 in. gauge plate so I was pleased to be able to do it without damaging the blade

Russell.

The original PC used to bleep one letter in morse code when all else failed, usually D for display, Dah-dit-dit

I think mine was saying "FU" - can't think what that stands for

Russell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information