. .

Thread: Spindle Stop?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi all.

Firstly, many thanks for all the help you have given me so far, especially with my LED + Limit Switch query.

While in my garage today, doing some wiring on my cabinet, I suddenly had a thought.

My Mill is on a standard 3 pin,13 amp plug, obviously it will be on a separate supply to the cabinet, my thought was this, what happens if the fuse blows to my Mill, will the Drivers keep on turning the Stepper motors, ie DISASTER. Please remember, I have no knowledge of Mach 3 yet, that's my next big learning curve,I assume that the electronics would detect an increase in Torque on the Stepper Motors and then shut down the electronics, trouble is i do not like assuming, because it makes an ASS OF U & ME, looking forward to your advice.

Regards

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by manofgresley View Post
    Hi all.

Firstly, many thanks for all the help you have given me so far, especially with my LED + Limit Switch query.

While in my garage today, doing some wiring on my cabinet, I suddenly had a thought.

My Mill is on a standard 3 pin,13 amp plug, obviously it will be on a separate supply to the cabinet, my thought was this, what happens if the fuse blows to my Mill, will the Drivers keep on turning the Stepper motors, ie DISASTER. Please remember, I have no knowledge of Mach 3 yet, that's my next big learning curve,I assume that the electronics would detect an increase in Torque on the Stepper Motors and then shut down the electronics, trouble is i do not like assuming, because it makes an ASS OF U & ME, looking forward to your advice.

Regards

Ray
    Ok if your cabinet loses power the system could get an E-Stop signal from a relay that also lost power and changed state. With standard stepper drivers the system would not detect a failure and indeed the result may not be good but as these steppers would lose power along with the cabinet the worst that would happen is mach would carry on running and the mill would just stop moving. the relay I mentioned at the begining is just a way of letting mach know that something has happened.

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardoco For This Useful Post:

Hi Rick, many thanks for quick reply, but i don't fully follow you.

My current condition is this, if Mill loses power, Steppers keep going, BAD situation, if cabinet loses power Mills X,Y & Z axis stop, but the Spindle keeps rotating, were do i fit the relay? if you have time a sketch would help.

Regards

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by manofgresley View Post
    Hi Rick, many thanks for quick reply, but i don't fully follow you.

My current condition is this, if Mill loses power, Steppers keep going, BAD situation, if cabinet loses power Mills X,Y & Z axis stop, but the Spindle keeps rotating, were do i fit the relay? if you have time a sketch would help.

Regards

Ray
    Ok where does your mill get its power??
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Ok here is a simple block diagram, its not the only way of doing it, but it lets me show you my thinking, and you can alter it to suit your system and i will be able to see what you have..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mill.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	7896

Let me know

Rick

In your block diagram, the stepper motors get their power from LV Supply (via the stepper drivers)....in turn the LV Supply gets its power from the HV supply (mains?) ...therefore if HV supply blows a fuse, LV supply won't get any power...therefore in that scenario, the steppers...they no workee.
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 07-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    In your block diagram, the stepper motors get their power from LV Supply (via the stepper drivers)....in turn the LV Supply gets its power from the HV supply (mains?) ...therefore if HV supply blows a fuse, LV supply won't get any power...therefore the steppers...they no workee.
    Yep thats the idea, and the spindle stops too!! Blown fuse system stops..

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Yep thats the idea, and the spindle stops too!! Blown fuse system stops..
    In case I wasn't clear, what I meant is, as its drawn Ray needn't worry about his steppers continuing to turn if mains blows a fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    In case I wasn't clear, what I meant is, as its drawn Ray needn't worry about his steppers continuing to turn if mains blows a fuse.
    Cheers Hank, i knew what you meant, but the problem is i dont know what he has already, it may be the system is all build and thats where the problems will come in, although i would just shove in a latching mains contactor and run the HV stuff out of that, quick fix i know, but worth while and easy.

Rick

Hi Guys

Thanks for your contribution so far, but i think there is still some misunderstanding, to answer a previous question, my Mill is powered from a Standard 13 amp 3 pin outlet. I have enclosed my BLOCK diagram of what is actually the condition of my system now, I have 3 different 3 pin 240 vac supplies, all with there own 10 amp fuse, if Mill blows fuse due to overload condition, cabinet and PC are still Powered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	7897

Regards

Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information