Gents,

again this isn't my area of expertise, so please excuse if what I'm about to ask seems silly.

I'm looking for a DC motor which can do around 3Nm at around 800-900RPM. I'm guessing this means it will need a gearbox of some sort, although it has to fit into an area of 110mm x 150mm x 2800mm, so something tube-like is more than welcome. This will run a shaft / spindle via a toothed belt, at a ratio of 1:3, so in the end the shaft will 'see' 9Nm at around 300RPM.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I was thinking a stepper can handle this, but I can see that it's probably above what steppers are made for. I've found a few motors which roughly fit the above, although their power rating was rather low, sitting at around 100W. Looking at speed vs torque vs power charts, the motor will supply max power at 0.5 top speed and 0.5 top torque. Should I then look for a motor which is twice the requirements I need or simply ignore that and have a motor which slows down when the torques get high?

Regards,
dsc.