. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am trying to get F-engrave working under Win XP, but it's like a game of Snakes and Ladders, but without ladders. I have got the main screen, but can't get any fonts loaded. Is there anybody using this program who isn't a Linux **** who can help ?
    I would like to try some simple V carving, but can't afford any more software.

Cheers,

Rob

Have F-Engrave running on XP and Win7 machines, its should load with a basic array of CIF(?) fonts.

Should be able to use settings to point it at your windows font folder , it should load TrueType fonts OK.

Mmmm no linux**** help? It's written with Python?

Under settings you need to select the general settings and in there you can change the font folder. This you will find under C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

From a friendly Linux****
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

In case any Linux users need to know it is

/usr/share/fonts/truetype

I have pointed the thing to the fonts directory, but still no joy. I get a couple of messages about ttf2cxf and potrace not present/working, both of which end with the informative message '...Bummer' but I have no idea how to install these and get them running (presumably as background services).
    The author's documentation for Windows installation - is just 'double click on the exe file'.

Anyway at the moment I am more pissed off that my Z axis has seized on the Delrin ...Bummer !
    But I can fix that, it is, at least. within my intellectual capabilities.

Cheers,
    Rob

Rob

I installed it after reading this thread and found there is an issue with the ttf2cxf bit. I got Potrace to work as that threw up issues so unless the guy who wrote it has a look we are a bit stumped?

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Rob

I installed it after reading this thread and found there is an issue with the ttf2cxf bit. I got Potrace to work as that threw up issues so unless the guy who wrote it has a look we are a bit stumped?
    Doing better than me, couldnt even find the .exe to install downloaded V1.02.

Have known working V0.7 which as it was originally distributed as freeware presume would be O.K. to pass on via email...

Cheers
    Adam

Not for me don't need it just trying help Rob out.

9. First, a couple of links:
    F-Engrave Home Page (download section):
    F-Engrave

F-Engrave Setup page:
    F-Engrave Setup

This is the quickest way to get up and running with F-Engrave under windows:
    1. Download the windows executable files from the F-Engrave page "F-Engrave-1.02_win.zip"
    2. Unzip the file
    3. Open the folder that was unzipped and double click on f-engrave-102.exe

Getting running under Linux is a little more involved (see the F-Engrave setup page linked above)

Additional Notes:
    F-Engrave needs ttf2cxf_stream for reading TTF fonts. If you get the ttf2cxf_stream warning message you can only use CXF fonts (in F-Engrave Text mode).
    F-Engrave needs potrace for importing bitmap images (.bmp, .pbm etc). If you get the potrace warning message you can only open DXF files (in F-Engrave Image mode).

(EDIT: Post if you still can't get F-Engrave running. I can address specific questions but I think downloading the windows zip file should resolve the windows issues.)

Good luck.
    Scorch
    Last edited by Scorch; 12-01-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: to offer additional help

I presume that I can't get any fonts loaded is because I have no CXF fonts. I have a good collection of TTF engraving fonts and would like to use them if possible. Now I know what potrace does I can live without it for the time being. I have v1.01 downloaded, but will start again from scratch with v1.02.

Double clicking on the 101.exe file give me a message - 'This application has failed to start because the application configuraion is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem'
    Running 101.py gets the application going but without TTF2CXF or potrace.
    I'll get back to the problems when my wife stops finding jobs for me to do....
    Cheers,

Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information