. .
    Hi fellows!

After reading a lot on the net for three years I've finally taken the plunge and started my CNC-project (rough sketch attached).

It comes from a "need" to make parts for a camera gimbal to my RC-projects. Yes, I do have a lot of projects! :-)

I'm a 45 year old aeronautical engineer with interests in mechanical engineering, flying, photography et cetera. A bit on the cheap side, probably have roots in Scotland I don't know about! Lives in Linkoping in the southern part of Sweden.

Pleased to have joined you all and look forward to contribute what knowledge I have.

Kind regards
    Patrik
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCNC.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	7917

Quote Originally Posted by Sodster68 View Post
    .... A bit on the cheap side, probably have roots in Scotland I don't know about!
    Welcome to the forum Patrik... Wait until you experience how tight the Yorkshire lads are !!! ;-)

hi there Patrik
    looks like a nice clean simple design

before you commit to buying parts it may be worth pricing up the difference between using supported rails all round and fit two dives on your X axis (long axis)

money is obviously a big issue, however, the difference in performance is very likely to make it well worth the extra expense

lets say it would cost you 20% more... the machine will likely perform 80% better... in reality it is hard to quantify but you will find that most users on this forum would urge you to go that little bit extra in making sure the machine will put a smile on your face every time it spits out a nice accurate clean part

Hi,
    thanks! Eeh, I kind of already bought the linear components... Well, it is a prototype that I learn on so... That will "garantee" a mark 2. Need to come up with a catchy name now.
    Btw, what is it about Yorkshire lads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodster68 View Post
    That will "garantee" a mark 2.
    like your thinking :D

I kind of already bought the linear components
    owch! sorry man... don't flap, if your tactical with your speeds you should be able to tiptoe around any serious resonance problems

if you are you looking to cut aluminium you may need the patience of a saint
    if your cutting acetal/delrin nylon life is likely to be a shitload easier

what is it about Yorkshire lads?
    there's only one good thing comes out of Yorkshire.... the road west to sunny Lancashire :)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blackburn mark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    owch! sorry man... don't flap, if your tactical with your speeds you should be able to tiptoe around any serious resonance problems
    if you are you looking to cut aluminium you may need the patience of a saint
    if your cutting acetal/delrin nylon life is likely to be a shitload easier
    No problemas! And thanks for the heads up on resonance! I had forgot about that and will keep in in mind for when testing begins.

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    there's only one good thing comes out of Yorkshire.... the road west to sunny Lancashire :)
    I see, well we have similar conditions in sweden; some shires are best passed through! But, to be serious, I have been around Britain a bit and enjoyed pretty much everything!

Recieved my steppers yesterday! NEMA 23's 3Nm/425oz-in. Detailed design continues, started placing the limits switches.

Regards
    Patrik

I see, well we have similar conditions in sweden; some shires are best passed through! But, to be serious, I have been around Britain a bit and enjoyed pretty much everything!
    me to, if im honest iv spent half my life paragliding in the Yorkshire dales :)

if you get a chance some pictures of your build would be nice

Pictures will be added as soon as I get crackin on the build! Hope to start cutting MDF this weekend.

Lives in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 24-01-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 7. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hey,

New here too. Good luck Patrik!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Al25 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information