. .
    Hi guys

My goal with this machine is to be able to make parts in thin plywood and composites. First project is a gyro stabilised camera gimbal mount for my quadrocopter.

Detailed design is finished. Parts are beginning to arrive. I understand using ground axles for linear motion increase the risk of resonance. So I came up with the name 'Wobbly'!

Drive is through M12 threaded rods with anti-backlash nuts. In an attempt to unload motor axles I intend to use thrust bearings and lock nuts to support the rods in the frame.

Dimensions comes from using available cheap(er) parts like axles of a given length et cetera. Frame parts are MDF.

It is a prototype and the idea is to make all the electronics and logic work in a simple machine before moving to larger sizes and better linear motion.

Hope to start cutting MDF parts in a week or two. As usual, build start slipped a couple of weeks since parts are a little late...

What do you think?

Cheers
    Patrik

Some screen shots:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept2-130113-1.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	7943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept2-130113-2.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	7944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept2-130113-3.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	7945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept2-130113-4.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	652.8 KB 
ID:	7946

The reason for building my CNC: gimbal camera mount:

Name:	RollTilt2-130103-2.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	7947

Quote Originally Posted by Sodster68 View Post
    Drive is through M12 threaded rods with anti-backlash nuts. In an attempt to unload motor axles I intend to use thrust bearings and lock nuts to support the rods in the frame.
    If this is just plain M12 1.75mm threaded rod then you'll struggle badly in several areas.?
    First 1.75mm pitch is far to small and slow for cutting materials like MDF or plastics etc. This will severely restrict feed rates which will cause burning and quickly wear tools out in MDF and composites with melting in plastics.

Second the pitch of threaded rod is not consistent across it's length so accuracy will be all over the place.

Third the quality of thread on Normal threaded rod is rubbish and the roughness wears nuts out very quickly.

By the time you have messed around buying threaded rod and Delrin etc for Lead nuts it's just not worth taking that route and the little difference to buy decent Screws, whether that be Lead or Ballscrew is most certainly worth it from the beginning.

If you want a very accurate alternative slightly more expensive then use timing belt. It will give far greater feed rates and be very very accurate.

Also drop the unsupported linear rails they are rubbish. Go with supported has they don't cost much more and you can transfer to a better machine when you realise just how RUBBISH MDF for a CNC machine frame and build another with steel or aluminium.!!

That last bit should tell you everything about what I think to MDF for the Frame.!!

Also drop the unsupported linear rails they are rubbish.
    I think he is somewhat committed on some of his parts jazz

timing belts are definitely worth exploring though as the M12 like jazz says are likely to be an insurmountable bottle neck

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    I think he is somewhat committed on some of his parts jazz
    Ye possibly Mark and suppose they are one step up from skate bearings but he still needs to know they are less than ideal and has someone ounce said to me " Its never too late to say NO". .!! . . . Just wish they'd told me before I got Married. . LOL

Well, it's never too late to change one's mind. Found a very good deal on a pair of supported rails and some ballscrews. Therefore I redesigned my X-axis with the new linear bearings and all axis with b-screws.
    Y- and Z-axis retain the ground axle with closed linear bearings.
    Still waiting for the major components.

Name:	Prototyp3-130118.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	414.7 KB 
ID:	7983
    I've seen rails mounted this way. Are there any problems with mounting them vertically?

Cheers
    Patrik

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodster68 View Post
    I've seen rails mounted this way. Are there any problems with mounting them vertically?
    If you look at the piccy here:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/genera...rted-rail.html

Thr red shaded area shows how much load in each direction supportted rail will take. In your situation I think you will be fine, the machine will probably rip through the mdf gantry a long time before you encounter a force that causes a problem with the rails.

Edit to add: You really need to rethink your spindle mount, it is far too weak. You need to make two of them that grip the spindle and put a few inches between them.

Do a google image search for: cnc spindle mount

and you will find plenty of examples to suit all budgets.
    Last edited by D.C.; 18-01-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks D.C.!
    Yes, the spindle mount needs improving. The mount in the picture is made of aluminium but I intend to ad a support higher up. Just received my router (with mount) yesterday so I'll start design on the upper support soon.
    Cheers
    Patrik

What spindle & motors are you fitting to this machine ? As you have said the spindle will need much more support than you have with just that thin bracket. Where is the machine going to be kept because moisture is a big problem with MDF so needs to be sealed properly.

Hi Martin54,
    I'm going to use this router:

Name:	caucaurouter.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	7990 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caucauroutermount.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	7991

And yes, I intend to paint the MDF properly :-)
    I've upped my standards. Now, up yours!

Thread Information