. .
    Lives in birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-01-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Hi
    As you can tell i am a complete newbie when it comes to cnc machines.
    We have just aquired a cnc router which cuts holes for door locks/hinges letter plates etc for upvc windows and doors.
    Here is the link Stuga UK - Products : RouterMaster
    It seems to be ms dos based and has a stuga cnc system which is loaded via floppy disk.
    However when i am prompted to start machine setup,when i press the start button nothing is happening and the machine doesnt move.
    Is anybody familiar with this type of machine or knows how we can get this operating,i have contacted stuga but they want a artic lorry full of cash to do it!!.
    Any helps or advise would be much appreciated sorry im not that technical and my information is limited however i am extremely new to this.
    Regards
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by aled View Post
    It seems to be ms dos based and has a stuga cnc system which is loaded via floppy disk.
    However when i am prompted to start machine setup,when i press the start button nothing is happening and the machine doesnt move.
    Do you have the software and if yes does it install ok.?

If yes then are there any guards or doors etc left open has these will be interlocked to the control software has a safety precaution.

When you say "prompted to start machine setup" does it actually allow you to set it up completely then not Start or can you not complete the setup.?

Are there any error messages or codes come upon screen.?

This is a custom machine doing NON standard CNC operations, hence the Artic pricing for custom Control software. You may find the only way to sensibly bring this machine back to life is to retro fit it with new control software and then program your own routines for each Job.
    It's also very likely that some of Hardware inside the machine is Custom also and that will need replacing with more modern and easily available components.

All this said it shouldn't be to difficult or costly to achieve but it's not something that's exactly simple for someone who's not used to CNC.!

The Hardware side shouldn't be too difficult to retro fit for anyone used to DIY CNC and also the Control software we use for DIYCNC would run the machine. But the G-code programs to actually make the machine move and do kind of things you will require will most likely need coding by hand rather than being able to use Standard Cam software like we use in DIYCNC.
    This is why they want BIG money for there custom software to take this hassle away and make simple.

If you are just doing repetitive procedures like cutting locks in same size doors then this won't be too much of a hassle because ounce written they can just be reused and loaded from a libery of standard sizes or procedures etc. But if doing one-off's constantly moving hinge positions or sizes etc then it will become more of a bind without some easier method being devised.

That said it's all possible even at DIY level if your prepared to take the time to learn and make it happen.!!

Tell us more info and lets see what's - what.!!

Lives in birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-01-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Do you have the software and if yes does it install ok.?

If yes then are there any guards or doors etc left open has these will be interlocked to the control software has a safety precaution.

When you say "prompted to start machine setup" does it actually allow you to set it up completely then not Start or can you not complete the setup.?

Are there any error messages or codes come upon screen.?

This is a custom machine doing NON standard CNC operations, hence the Artic pricing for custom Control software. You may find the only way to sensibly bring this machine back to life is to retro fit it with new control software and then program your own routines for each Job.
    It's also very likely that some of Hardware inside the machine is Custom also and that will need replacing with more modern and easily available components.

All this said it shouldn't be to difficult or costly to achieve but it's not something that's exactly simple for someone who's not used to CNC.!

The Hardware side shouldn't be too difficult to retro fit for anyone used to DIY CNC and also the Control software we use for DIYCNC would run the machine. But the G-code programs to actually make the machine move and do kind of things you will require will most likely need coding by hand rather than being able to use Standard Cam software like we use in DIYCNC.
    This is why they want BIG money for there custom software to take this hassle away and make simple.

If you are just doing repetitive procedures like cutting locks in same size doors then this won't be too much of a hassle because ounce written they can just be reused and loaded from a libery of standard sizes or procedures etc. But if doing one-off's constantly moving hinge positions or sizes etc then it will become more of a bind without some easier method being devised.

That said it's all possible even at DIY level if your prepared to take the time to learn and make it happen.!!

Tell us more info and lets see what's - what.!!
    Hi Jazzcnc
    Thanks for your reply.
    We think it could be a guard or something which is stoping it from running because as soon as we put the machine on the "reset"button light is luminated which apparently in the instruction book means that there is an emergency stop or something which is stopping it however we cannot find what is causing this.Could you give us an idea what this could be or what could be causing this??
    When we put the disk in the operating menu "stuga cnc sytems"comes up but when we try and start setup nothing happens.
    Also sometimes when on the menu "MINT ERROR-TIMEOUT" comes up noy sure what that is.
    If we can get this on i have a friend who can program it for us as he does cnc work.
    I really appreciate your time and knoledge.
    Best regards
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by aled View Post
    We think it could be a guard or something which is stoping it from running because as soon as we put the machine on the "reset"button light is luminated which apparently in the instruction book means that there is an emergency stop or something which is stopping it however we cannot find what is causing this.
    This is correct and how it should be.? The reset shouldn't be allowed to happen if there's any fault or safety feature that's activated. IE: limit tripped or Guard open.

If it's wired correctly then even if a wire breaks it will not work and appear like an E-stop has occurred. So really it's just a process of elimination to find if there's either a faulty switch or Broken wire.
    It could be something like a faulty Relay or wire fallen out of relay so check all connections inside control box.! . . Make sure to do it with power off.!!

Me I'd start with finding all switches and checking condition and if working with multimeter. If any are suspect then just bridge connections and check if it comes out of Reset.?
    Don't just remove the switch has the wiring will most likely be a large loop so any break will show has E-stop condition. It will need connections bridging.

If you can post some pic's of inside the Control box and anything you thin looks relevant then something may just jump out at us.??

One last thought does it use external Air supply for any pneumatic clamps etc.? If so then it could be this and a switch or control is looking for air and again won't allow operation without it.?

The Error code could just be a side affect of the E-stop condition being active too long.? Thou it could also mean it just wants a MINT Cornetto.!!. . . Who knows but Stuga.?? More likely it means Stuga will tell you what it means then Charge you a Mint.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Did you see the machine working before purchase?

Has it just not worked since moving it to your workshop?

Andy

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your input.
    The machine has not been used for a while and has been disconnected,however it was in full working order before this.
    The machine comes on it just seems as if there is some type of break which is not allowing the computer to conect with the machine.
    As said in my previous post it says in the manual that if the reset button is luminated there is something which has tripped this out:
    It does also say it may be "wind axis off limit"??
    Anyone have any idea what this could be?
    As said before i am a complete newbie to this so thanks for all your patience.
    Al

Would it be possible to get a photo of the inside of the control cabinet, if you can split it into about three and get close ups might be able to help further.

Andy
    Last edited by audioandy; 15-01-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo

Hi,
    Thanks for all your replys,much appreciated.
    I have had someone come in and take a look at the machine although we got over the emergency stop/reset issue we have found another problem.
    The "smart axis controller" seems not to be working properly.
    I have taken some pictures of what it could be in some of the pics there should be some lights on underneath the power cable,i am not sure why these lights are not on as we have checked all the fuses and they seem fine,however if i knew why these where not coming on it could lead to the problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smart axis box.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	7963
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	7968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power cable lights underneath should be on.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	7967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	7966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights with  supply fauly on.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	7965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connecions on top of box.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	7964I have also attached the pdf of all the technical details on the "smart axis"
    http://www.smartdrive.co.uk/sa46.pdf product
    Technical http://www.smartdrive.co.uk/sa46.pdf
    Does anyone have an idea why these lights are not coming on,and where there maybe a fault??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Best regards
    Al

Thread Information