. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Leon, having read through the post I get the impression that it's not really an apprenticeship you are doing but more on job training which will lead to you being able to operate the machine.
    What are you actually getting out of this as far as a recognised qualification goes?? If you are doing a proper apprenticeship then you would probably have to be attending college once or twice a week where you would be learning all the theoretical stuff you need to know, very very few companies have the ability to do this sort of thing inhouse these days which is why you would need to go to college.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Leon, its great to see someone keen to learn and get on. The early working/learning days are always the hardest, as it sometimes seems that you are under employed or just given mundane tasks, but that will soon pass.

If you have a proper apprenticeship I think you will find in later life that it will stand you in good stead, we have too few well trained engineers and skilled staff will always be valued.

Yes there are people who take on trainees, and give on the job training, but if you have a real apprenticeship, you will get a much better all round grounding.

Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck. Stay enthusiastic. Regards, G.
    Yeah i get where your coming from, i do sometimes feel that im there as a spare part, but as everyones said, its just part and parcel.
    Id consider it a 'proper' apprenticeship as it is a recognised scheme and i do go to college everyweek, to do both the practical and theory side of manual milling, turning and CAD. Im 100% going to stick it out atleast untill im Levell 2 qualified and then maybe try and move on. Dont think ill get a much better grounding than where im at. (Sh*ithole, broken machines etc)

thanks for the luck, dare say ill need it, trying to make the best of being enthusiastic while i still am haha

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Leon, having read through the post I get the impression that it's not really an apprenticeship you are doing but more on job training which will lead to you being able to operate the machine.
    What are you actually getting out of this as far as a recognised qualification goes?? If you are doing a proper apprenticeship then you would probably have to be attending college once or twice a week where you would be learning all the theoretical stuff you need to know, very very few companies have the ability to do this sort of thing inhouse these days which is why you would need to go to college.
    HI, as ive just mentioned, i do go college once aweek aswell as on the job training. The qualification im doing at the moment is Level 2 in milling turning and CAD (cant think of the awarding body). With an option of going on to do level 3 but im unsure if this would benifit me in the long run, rather than going to get more expeirence running a machine of my own/ better on the job training (traniee job rather than apprenticeship).

thanks for you reply, appreticate it all! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information