. .

Thread: Steorn

1. Been following this company and its claim of an over unity device for the last two years, and now it looks like they have a product.
    If this is true, it will make a big differnece to everyones lives.

Lets hope :)

http://www.steorn.com/

Very interesting, I'll make a space in the garage next to my jetpack and car engine that runs on water ;-)

Could be world changing if true but there is the old saying that "if something looks to good to be true...."

Jeff
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

3. I am also skeptical, but i think the difference with this one is that they are not selling a product that claims to produce free energy, but are offering licensing, for other companies to developed product with this technology, they are also giving away the information on how to reproduce the technology.
    Admittedly they claim not to know how it works.
    If this does work, it will change the world, and will take our dependency away from oil, and i guess that is why they are visiting the Middle east.
    Think about what will happen in the middle east if within 12 months the price of oil went down to $5 a barrel? You think it is shit there now, with no oil revenue it would quickly turn in to a third work region.

I saw a video of a home made version of this gadget. He set it spinning by hand, then introduced another stationary magnet and the danged thing speeded up :confused:

I'll believe it when they get their million dollar prize from James Randi for beating the laws of physics

Strange though it may seem, I am not sceptical just sarcastic :p

Prof Eric Laithwaite managed to destroy a reputation built up over a lifetime by claiming to have discovered anti-gravity. He could demonstrate the effect of a 50lb gyro apparently losing weight and rising from the desk with only a gentle force on his part. He could measure the weight loss (apparent) but what he could not do was to say WHY and in the eyes of his peers that put him in the crackpot league. This by the way is the man that invented the linear motor amongst other things. We think we know so much about how the Universe works but we are not even scratching at the first layers of a surface.

Hope these guys don't go the same way as Eric because we need a break, all of us.

Jeff.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Strange though it may seem, I am not sceptical just sarcastic :p

Prof Eric Laithwaite managed to destroy a reputation built up over a lifetime by claiming to have discovered anti-gravity. He could demonstrate the effect of a 50lb gyro apparently losing weight and rising from the desk with only a gentle force on his part. He could measure the weight loss (apparent) but what he could not do was to say WHY and in the eyes of his peers that put him in the crackpot league. This by the way is the man that invented the linear motor amongst other things. We think we know so much about how the Universe works but we are not even scratching at the first layers of a surface.

Hope these guys don't go the same way as Eric because we need a break, all of us.

Jeff.
    I studied under Eric at Imperial College.. he had this party piece for new grads where he put a piece of 1/2" ali plate on the linear accelerator, turn it on and it would levitate and shoot down the track into the wall at the end! The slot in the wall was testament both to the firces involved and to the number of times this was demo'd :) Eventually the H&S guys got wind of it and put a stop to it :( (nanny bl**dy state, lol). I actually did see his gyro demo in a lecture but never understood the how of it...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    I studied under Eric at Imperial College.. he had this party piece for new grads where he put a piece of 1/2" ali plate on the linear accelerator, turn it on and it would levitate and shoot down the track into the wall at the end! The slot in the wall was testament both to the firces involved and to the number of times this was demo'd :) Eventually the H&S guys got wind of it and put a stop to it :( (nanny bl**dy state, lol). I actually did see his gyro demo in a lecture but never understood the how of it...
    I only saw him "live" as it were on TV I'm afraid. It must have been a great privilege to have known him. I can still remember the Christmas lecture from the Royal Institution where he demonstrated gyros and flywheels and ally plates whizzing up and down a linear motor track, all in front of an audience of children, like you say, the H&S stazi would have a fit these days but I got the impression he would have been a great teacher. I especially remember his explanation of how he came up with the idea for the linear motor by simply unrolling a normal axial motor.

I don't think even Eric understood the levitation effect and his mistake was probably in using non scientific terms like anti-gravity and the like. Made him an easy target.

I envy you your education and you have obviously not taken it for granted. I think he'd be proud he was part of it.

Regards, Jeff.

8. I wish I'd known him more, but he taught heavy electrical engineering I was doing Electronics so only had him for the first year...

Thread Information