. .

Thread: New Boy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Chatham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-02-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 14.
    Hi fellas.....well here goes for my first post........so I'm just getting into the whole CNC Machining thing through my work in 3D Modelling (although not precision Engineering based) but I've decided that rather than wasting my hard earnt on keep buying fripperies such as more Motorbikes and Cars Etc. I got the idea that I'd like to buy myself a 4 Axis CNC milling machine capable of light production and prototyping something along the lines of syilx5/6/7 tormach 1100 either new or used all recommendations welcome as I have no experience of these things (but I'm a quick learner), I've also been looking at the Noomeo Optinum RE 3D Reverse Engineering Scanner (expensive) but definitely floats my boat as it's very portable and requires no markers and as far as I can see if I'm to machine parts for my bikes / cars I'll be needing this sort of tool for scanning existing surfaces and parts......what do you think am I too ambitious.....there not a bad first post......just waiting to see who'll be the first to flame me.....LOL

Good evening sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've decided that rather than wasting my hard earnt on keep buying fripperies such as more Motorbikes and Cars Etc. I got the idea that I'd like to buy myself a 4 Axis CNC milling machine
    :-D snap. first step cnc, second world domination.

Just looking up a Noomeo Optinum ... sounds like a transformer... :D

youve come to the right place.. read some build logs look at some youtube videos you'll soon catch the bug

Lives in Chatham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-02-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 14.
    World Domination......Mwahaaa......

I doubt it but it wont be for the want of trying....haha......you'll love the Noomeo I think it's a tip top tool unfortunately it's £18k eek!! It will enable onsite scanning of existing parts and pulling them into your preferred 3D modelling software to produce moulds etc or to redesign.....cool....sounds like the start of a business LOL

Welcome russ. If you get the 3D scanner will you offer free use to forum members (ie. me) lol

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Welcome russ. If you get the 3D scanner will you offer free use to forum members (ie. me) lol
    free use for a fee of course.......LOL :D

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    free use for a fee of course.......LOL :D
    Ok it looks like you will be machining Ali i expect, and it sounds like you will be having a go at the sort of stuff i do. As for scanners well when you get your machine up and running you can get a touch probe, pop it on the machine and use it with the software to generate a point cloud, this in turn will allow you to copy parts.. no need for super priced scanners..

This is the tool i use.

Touch probe cmm digitizing renishaw haas fadal cnc mill lathe router engraver | eBay

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Ok it looks like you will be machining Ali i expect, and it sounds like you will be having a go at the sort of stuff i do. As for scanners well when you get your machine up and running you can get a touch probe, pop it on the machine and use it with the software to generate a point cloud, this in turn will allow you to copy parts.. no need for super priced scanners..

This is the tool i use.

Touch probe cmm digitizing renishaw haas fadal cnc mill lathe router engraver | eBay

Rick
    yeah Rick a perfectly good solution I've also seen the Tormach 3D Scanning tool thats fits into there milling machine which again is a great solution.....I do get the feeling that I do go a bit OTT but with the Noomeo Optinum I will be able to sell an onsite 3D Scanning service being it's totally portable and self powered but the payoff is the initial outlay

Hi Russ, Welcome etc.

Since when are Bikes fripperies?...(unless your on about push rods , then I'll have it )

Kin how Much! Noomeo mucho Deenaro more likeio , It looks shiney though!

Welcome to the forum Rick, not sure what sort of demand there is for on site scanning but if there is a decent market then you would be able to recoup the price of the scanner in a relatively short time. I would do a bit more research & if the market is there & you have the funds then go ahead & purchase.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Don't bother forking out loads of money on a Noomeo Optinum, you will not be able to do what you want to do with it.

The Noomeo isn't a laser scanner, it just does digital imaging processing to generate a point cloud and in real world use you only get 0.5mm resolution at best apparently. Given that you can do just as much for free using an iphone, why pay lots of money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information