. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Chatham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-02-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 14.
    Ok guys I'm in the market for a half decent 4 axis CNC Milling machine with ATC option capable of small scale manufacture and Proto-typing don't mind whether New or Reconditioned.....so hit me with some makes and places to buy.....what you got......Cheers

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    You wish to be milling mainly ___________, & your budget is £______?

Not being nosey, but you could spend either £5k, £15k or £150k.

Give us a chance to help ya will ya

Hi Russ, and welcome, as Chas has stated you will need to specify the material type you wish to machine, a rough machine size taking into consideration what you may wish to machine in the future.

I dont think the budget is an important question as you are asking advice for a half decent machine and i expect when you get the reply you will either like the price or you wont, although the ATC option will considerably effect the final tag it has on it.

The only other question that comes to mind is do you want a commercially made machine or a home machinist machine IE one custom built by one of the people in the know..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Just spotted your 'New Boy' post Russ.

Spookily, we have several things in common.

IIWY, I'd be looking more at the Tormach than anything else, cheaper than that is going to be hard work & more expensive than that is going to be lots n lots of money.

You'd need to be very lucky to get one 2nd hand in the UK.

Your cheapest option would be something along the lines of a Seig X3 with a CNC conversion kit, your most expensive would be something like a Haas TM or mini mill. The current Syil's fall into an area that I like to stay out of. The importer is a nice bloke & will help you beyond the best of his ability, but support for them isn't a patch on Tormach's.

I think 'John S' of this parish might also be able to help you.

What bikes have you got & what do you want to make for 'em?

Lives in Chatham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-02-2014 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 14.
    Budget £3K to £10K maybe a tad more for the right machine this is only for my shed so not really needing something tipping the scales at 5 tons needs to be vertical (Space) and Ideally doesn't want to be made in China.....if you get my drift.....cheers......(might not be an option though)
    @Chas....I got 2012 KTM RC8R and a 2012 KTM 690 SMCR.....epic.....shed loads of Billet Ally for KTM's but sadly mostly for the SXF / EXC machines I'd be looking at thins such as Brake and clutch Levers, rad caps fuel caps Foot peg mounting various barckets of one sort or another but I wouldn't be limiting myself to just this brand custom machined parts to your requirements would be something I'd be looking at I've researched the Tormach seems like a nice bit of kit especially with the ATC there are others I know Marchant Dice sell small units dugard get some nice used machines.........Once I can get my greedy hands on a Noomeo Optnum Scanner then i'll only be bounded to what I could make by my own imagination.....I have so many Ideas my brain is bursting......Solidworks and CAMworks will be working overtime.....LOL

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    what size of work envelope do you need xyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I have so many Ideas my brain is bursting......Solidworks and CAMworks will be working overtime.....LOL
    <SNORT>. 'kinell, we have soo much in common.

My brain was once bursting like yours & in some respects it's still bursting. I paid £3.5k for a Syil SX3 5yrs ago. So far it's earned me £28k. I have no regrets, but I'd give my left bollok to go back 5yrs & choose the Tormach instead !

I don't think the scanner/probe is as important as you might think !

Again, IIWY, I'd go Tormach.

No contest, Tormach if you want all the features you have stated.

Chas,
    Why go back 5 years, if it's earnt you 28K sell the Syil and move on
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    No contest, Tormach if you want all the features you have stated.

Chas,
    Why go back 5 years, if it's earnt you 28K sell the Syil and move on
    If only John . . . if only. So many other pies in the sky have to be juggled into place beforehand.

To put it frankly, I'm not yet in a position to risk a £15k purchase in my current circumstances.

I need a shoulder at this moment in time, on the grand scale of things, not a very big shoulder, but a shoulder none the less :-(

Lives in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 24-01-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 7. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Again Ive heard all good things about Tormach. Importing is so damn expensive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information