. .
    Is there anything I should watch out for. How do I work out DOC and feed with foam, I only usually cut MDF and Pine, normally at 1mm DOC with 2mm Endmill @ 40mm/second. Is there a good way to work this out? It can't be too tough can it? :)

It hasnt arrived yet but I like to be prepared :)

Thanks, Phil

PUR foam like Cellotex/Kingspan, main hassle is the dust , extraction helps but it sticks to things by static, like the spindle body.
    Sure there would be a workable method of dust extraction for foams just using electrostatics :-)

Its very soft, but too slow or too deep seems to chunk bits rather than cut, sharp wood router bit is fine, internal grain of insulation foam is quite bubbly, for finer grain want proper model board.

Quote Originally Posted by Musht View Post
    PUR foam like Cellotex/Kingspan, main hassle is the dust , extraction helps but it sticks to things by static, like the spindle body.
    Sure there would be a workable method of dust extraction for foams just using electrostatics :-)

Its very soft, but too slow or too deep seems to chunk bits rather than cut, sharp wood router bit is fine, internal grain of insulation foam is quite bubbly, for finer grain want proper model board.
    Compared to wood, how much should I increase the DOC, 40-50%?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Compared to wood, how much should I increase the DOC, 40-50%?

Thanks
    At risk of the blind leading the blind ;-) , am very much a beginner still, advantage of insulation foam is its dirt cheap,easily available and in case of error tool is liable to just rip through the foam rather than snapping in an expensive and frustrating manner...

Can also just surface down the foam sheet with a wide cutter if you have a foul up.

Remember to peel the foil off both sides.

Try going as deep as you dare to start with and backing off if its getting bogged down, foam dosen`t melt like plastics at the wrong speed , it just chunks and rips rather than cuts, beginning to understand what meant by cutting chips rather than bashing the material into submission.

Insulation foam is more at the aero side of bubbly than malteser grain, so a lot of what you are actually cutting is air.

hope this helps

Cheers
    Adam

Thread Information