. .
    Hey guys,

As a hobby I build and race model cars, However as my collection over time has grown so has my battery collection(mostly lithium polymer) I want to purchase a metal case and use foam inside to protect my batteries, I would really like to machine the foam out to fit each battery to keep them separate inside.

Does anyone know of any foam that is easily machinable but also soft enough for protection?

Thanks

Craig

If it's just for batteries then it wouldn't need to be to soft. Really just to keep them from clattering about in the case so pretty much any sort of foam would do. Generally the denser the foam the more expensive it is. You would get good results with a soft foam & a craft knife with a bit of care. That's probably how I would do it.

You want to use a polyethalene grade of foam, plastazote have a few different grades (Used for tool trays/shadow boards). If you struggle to find any let me know, I have a few bits kicking around.

I've never got good results using a craft knife to cut foam, however, a wet bread knife is brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post
    You want to use a polyethalene grade of foam, plastazote have a few different grades (Used for tool trays/shadow boards). If you struggle to find any let me know, I have a few bits kicking around.
    Yipee your first post.!! . . . Welcome Si .

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I've never got good results using a craft knife to cut foam, however, a wet bread knife is brilliant!
    I Your not supposed to use it in the bath for making rubber ducks thou Max.!

[QUOTE=JAZZCNC;41973]Yipee your first post.!! . . . Welcome Si .

Thnx Jazz, still recovering from finding out who the man behind the mask is !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Your not supposed to use it in the bath for making rubber ducks thou Max.!
    Ha! that's been easier since they let me near the anything sharp! "Get your foam ducks here!" All proceeds to the "Home for mechanically afflicted"

That could be a typo...

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post
    Thnx Jazz, still recovering from finding out who the man behind the mask is !!!!!
    Now you know you do realise Paul will try to screw you for better discount. .

Thread Information