. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Suggest you forget trying to do this your self has this rats nest would make someone with experience have to sit down and take a good hard look before delving in.!!
    Best advise is Either buy modern components or hand to someone who knows what there doing.! If someone with no experience tries messing in there the outcome will be the same.???. . . You'll be buying new drives and modern components anyway because you'll have blown something up.!!
    Has well as being poor performance compared to modern drives the stuff inside there is very intolerant to error and will let out the magic smoke very quickly if you miss wire or cock up.!

If it where me even thou I've got the experience to sort it I'd still be dumping that lot has the performance of modern drives would transform the machine and be much more stable/reliable and accurate with much better performance along with better quality finish.

These are better value.

CNC Micro-Stepping Stepper Motor Driver 2M542 Bi-polar 2phase 4.2A Switch | eBay

Get three of these and one of these

5 Axis Breakout Board Interface FR Stepper Motor Driver | eBay

Same stuff as mc recommends but works out to about £85 as opposed to £141 odd.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I knew somebody would be along with cheaper options.

Main reason I linked what I did were the wiring diagrams!

OK good reasoning but many of us here will be able to supply diagrams.

In fact if SCNC, can't see a name, is serious enough, if he gets these and throw the router in his car and come over, I'm only an hour away I'll wire it up and get it running knowing that anything not working or missing will be here on site.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've just a quick ebay search, and something like this kit would get you up and running, provided you can figure out the existing power supply, and get it working for the steppers - CNC Router DIY Kit 5 Axis Breakout Board +3x M542 Stepper Motor Driver 1.0A-4.5A | eBay

If you scroll down the page, it has some pretty simple but clear wiring diagrams, which should help clarify what's needed, and how they connect.
    He's going to need motors has well because these are 5 wire Unipolar motors and using them with Bipolar drives is not recommended. At best you get erratic results with high potential for missed steps and at worst will damage the drive.?

Also I'd change the power supply to something with more volts better matched to the drives like 44-46v because looking at those pics I see 26V now chances are this is AC before rectification so could be 36Vdc.? Which is still 10V less than ideal for these drives and modern motors. 10V makes a big enough difference to be worth changing IME.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    He's going to need motors has well because these are 5 wire Unipolar motors and using them with Bipolar drives is not recommended. At best you get erratic results with high potential for missed steps and at worst will damage the drive.?
    Sure ?
    The driver is only 4 wire.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attach...e-imag0890.jpg
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The fifth pin on the back of the connectors appears to have some kind of resistor set-up going on. I would say maybe something to do with sheilding, but then there's also a small thin wire connected, so possibly some kind of safety system for if the steppers aren't plugged in?

Power supply might be higher than 26V. There's multiple wires coming of the transformer, so without tracing wires, it's hard to say for definite.
    26V AC translates to just over 36V DC, so should give a useable voltage. Won't be the best performance possible, but will still be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Sure ?
    The driver is only 4 wire.
    Not 100% sure. . . But I see 5 wires out the motors and where the connectors enter the box there's Green wire with red rings with what looks like a resistor that goes to the daughter board next to the drives. I suspect this is common and the 4 wires on the drive are A+ B+ A- B- like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unipolar.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	8035

But I could be wrong.!!!

Erm...After checking the parker sd3 specs it says bipolar drive so MC could be right and it's shielding or something. . . . More investigating needed me thinks.

Think best thing you could do scnc is take john up on his offer and throw it in car and let him check it out.! If it's been working then chances are it will be a quick fix or just a setup issue.
    At the very least he'll be able to check out what stuff is and where it goes.!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    if you fancy a day in sunny Cardiff, i'll sort the existing control system out for you. Or bung it on a pallet and send it down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information