. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in walsall, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-04-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 29.
    Hi Guys,

I was given this machine by somebody and they told me it would be useful to use and make parts prior to my build as i would like to build a bigger machine. This is the first time im trying to set up a cnc machine but dont know what im doing wrong. ive tried to follow the online mach3 videos but to no avail. I was given a sheet of some sort of data which i do not understand. Was hoping if someone could make heads and tails out of what i might be doing wrong. I have attached several pics of my initial setup and configurations with mach 3.

Thank in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0859.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	7994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0860.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	7995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0861.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	7996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0862.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	7997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0865.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	342.9 KB 
ID:	7998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0866.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	7999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0864.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	8000  

Has it ever worked recently.? What's happening or not give more details please.

This looks a bit messed up regards wiring and bit of a hack job so will be a bit trial and error unless you know exactly where each pin goes. The sheet you show will help if it's correct.

Try these numbers in motor outputs for starters.
    X Axis Step =9
    X Axis Dir 12
    Y Axis Step 10
    Y axis Dir 13
    Z axis Step 11
    Z axis Dir 14

Also show use whats on the input signals Tab for E-stop.

Edit: The pins could also be this way round depending on the how the Sheet reads.

X Step =2
    X dir = 5
    Y Step = 3
    Y Dir = 6
    Z Step 4
    Z dir = 7
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-01-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Lives in walsall, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-04-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 29.
    Hi Thanx for your reply,

I tried that but still no joy. as for whats happening, nothing at all. the table just isnt moving and the computer and mach3 just isnt picking it up. as for the e-stop Ive set it to 0. when on main page i press reset and then press the tab key making sure the jog is on anything but 0%. ive gone through the vids but still no joy on the mach 3 support vids. I went through the control panel, system hardware and add hardware to the lpt 1 port as well. dont know what could be going wrong? theres just no activity.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

Edit: The pins could also be this way round depending on the how the Sheet reads.

X Step =2
    X dir = 5
    Y Step = 3
    Y Dir = 6
    Z Step 4
    Z dir = 7
    That looks right.

the drives look like parker sd2/3, and they have 12v logic so you may need a level shifter to drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    That looks right.

the drives look like parker sd2/3, and they have 12v logic so you may need a level shifter to drive them.
    hi

if thats so, would i need some sort of special drivers for it?? also whats a level shifter?? and how would i install it??

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    there is a mention of a transistor and resistor on the paper.

Hi just getting a bit technical what is a level shifter and if there is a mention of a transisitor and a resistor what would i need to do?? would i need to buy some hardware or do something on mach3?? just getting a little confused as i dont know anything about the electronics and havnt a clue what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    there is a mention of a transistor and resistor on the paper.
    There's on in my radio as well but it's not much use in there is it ?

Come on the guy is a beginner, throwing remarks like level crossing and resistors isn't going to help him at all is it ?
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by scnc View Post
    Hi just getting a bit technical what is a level shifter and if there is a mention of a transisitor and a resistor what would i need to do?? would i need to buy some hardware or do something on mach3?? just getting a little confused as i dont know anything about the electronics and havnt a clue what to do.
    To be honest without more information then it's going to be very hard to help has we don't know wot's what or were the problem lies.

So from the beggining did this machine ever run in it's current state electronics wise.? . . . Did it ever run with Mach3.?

What happens when you turn power on.? Does anything light up inside the control box and if so describe what, take pictures if your unsure.
    Do the motors make any cluncking or thudding sounds or twitch.?

Take good clear photos from all angles of the electronics. Try and trace the wires and show with pics if possible.
    Take pics of motors and if possible the wires or connections. Count the number of wires at the motors end there will probably be more than at other end were they go into control box.

The more info and pics you can give/show the more possible it will be to help.

Being totally Honest in all probability the easiest route will be to rip out the existing drives and rats nest of wires and start again with new modern drives and breakout board. May possibly need a power supply has well but without testing the output hard to know.
    Chances are the motors will be fine but again would need to know or see more about them to tell.

Fitting drives and breakout board is relatively easy and provided the correct drives to match the motors and power supply are used then we can easily guide you thru the process here thru the forum.
    Also I don't mind giving you my Number and I will gladly guide via the phone, it really is that easy.!
    Setting Mach3 is also not rocket science or very hard when you know what your working with which we don't at the minute. And At the minute were stabbing in the dark with very small to no chance of success on all accounts.

The base machine looks reasonably ok so my advise would be start again because for less than £200 you'll be up and running in no time. You'll also have machine that's sell able and the investment will more than pay back by increasing the machines value and appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by scnc View Post
    hi

if thats so, would i need some sort of special drivers for it?? also whats a level shifter?? and how would i install it??
    As Jazz has said we need more info and better photos to see what's there.
    The level shifter allows the 5v logic level from the parallel port to activate the 12v logic in the drives.
    If the machine has worked before then this is all there and just needs to be checked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information