. .
    Are there standard cuts people use to test the operation and straightness of a newly constructed machine ?

I'm thinking along the lines of:

1) Checking bed is flat and moves to limits correctly - for fixed gantry machines.
    2) Checking the X/Y are set up to move equally. eg: cuts a circle not an ellipse.
    3) Checking the spindle is vertical in X and Y axes and moves vertically in the Z axis.

Adrian.

Cut a square and measure the diagonals. Should be equal length. If not then the machines not square.

For best accuracy you should ideally cut a square that's around you travel limits. If you don't have a long digital rule to do that then this method works well:

MechMate CNC Router Forum : <font color="ff0000">&#42;</font> Setting the Y-axis square to the X-axis

Hi, a very simple check that I use is to cut two circles of the same diameter, one offset inside the line, the other outside the line. the larger circle should be a perfect fit in the smaller hole, and should fit in any position, but friction will mean it will not rotate too freely. G.

Cut a circle, measure it across 5 points
    .Me

An easier way to check how close your X and Y axes are to square is just to drill 3 holes, the same diameter, to make a (should be) right angled triangle. i.e. Holes at (0,0) , (X,0) , (0,Y). You can then measure the 3 lengths and use that to either calculate the angle, or draw a diagram in a cad program and measure it. There are less errors in this method then cutting a shape, in addition to it requiring less material - could even just use the bed if it's MDF.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

7. Ive always drilled 4 holes in a square pattern (utilising your bed size) in 2 plates and put 4 dowls in one half and fit the 2 halfs together... if its fits then thats pretty good going. no milling just drilling.

Thread Information