. .

Thread: 3 Axis Router

Welcome to my build log. Although I have tried to start a build log previously it was shelved as it didn’t really fulfil any of my requirements, its size and capabilities would have been too much of a compromise.
    I have decided to take my time with this and ensure it has the capability to machine both aluminium and wood and have a working area of at least 1220mm x 1220mm.
    The frame of the machine is to be a mixture of welded and bolted 50mm x 50mm SHS and the X axis rail supports 50mm x 100mm RHS, but this requires further development as there is no diagonal bracing.
    Although the Z axis rails are rather long at 620mm the blocks are currently spaced far apart to provide rigidity so the movement is restricted to 270mm. This may need revising as I may have the spacing to far apart and could get some travel back.
    The bed as shown can be raised and lowered to reduce the amount of Z travel as needed, but the bed currently restricted by the horizontal members welded to the sides of the base.
    The Gantry is currently 3 pieces of 45mm x 90mm extrusion with 20mm plates either end.
    It is intended to use pulleys and belts on all axis, and run 2 ballscrews and motors on the x axis.
    I have the profiled rails, these are HR25 x 1800mm for the X, HR20 x 1500mm for the Y, and HR20 x 620mm for the Z, and I am about to order the ballscrews. So no going back on this.
    I would welcome any feedback on this concept as redesigning costs nothing but time.
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	8005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	8006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	8007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	8008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	8009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	8010  

Looks like a nice all rounder Jim.

I'm sure it'll be up to a decent level of performance for wood and would do alu too.

I might put another one or two uprights in supporting the steel section where the x rails are mounted. There's only 3 and that looks like quite a tall span you have there.

With 20mm profile rails on the Z and an adjustable bed there's no need for such wide bearing spacing. You could bring them closer so the top one has its bottom edge in line with the Y blocks.

3. It has been said many times before, but if you are planning on using epoxy to level the x axis beams, you are going to want them wider than 50mm, 80mm works well. Also I wasted a lot of time with bolts - just weld it all, would be my advise. Another lesson from my build is get box section with thick wall - 5mm not 3mm as it will tap much more securely. Why do you need so much travel on z? it will be hard to maintain rigidity at that length. I also have real issues accessing the y and z axis ballnuts to grease them - make sure you figure that out now! Good luck with the build, this forum is great for keeping you on the straight and narrow!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    It has been said many times before, but if you are planning on using epoxy to level the x axis beams, you are going to want them wider than 50mm, 80mm works well. Also I wasted a lot of time with bolts - just weld it all, would be my advise. Another lesson from my build is get box section with thick wall - 5mm not 3mm as it will tap much more securely. Why do you need so much travel on z? it will be hard to maintain rigidity at that length. I also have real issues accessing the y and z axis ballnuts to grease them - make sure you figure that out now! Good luck with the build, this forum is great for keeping you on the straight and narrow!
    Bloody hell Joe that threads from 2013 I think the epoxy will have gone off by now if Jim hasn't done it yet..
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

5. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Bloody hell Joe that threads from 2013 I think the epoxy will have gone off by now if Jim hasn't done it yet..
    haha just assumed he would be working to my timescales!! Hadn’t spotted these date, for some reason it came up on my feed!! How’s the project Jim?!

haha I thought it was a new build also, I was planning on using 60mm y axis beams do you think they are not wide enough for epoxy?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by m.i.k.e View Post
    haha I thought it was a new build also, I was planning on using 60mm y axis beams do you think they are not wide enough for epoxy?
    cheers
    Yes 60mm is ok provided you epoxy the whole surface and put the rails down the centre.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.i.k.e View Post
    cheers
    These are quite old now:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1807.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	28441
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1759.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	517.2 KB 
ID:	28442