Such a simple job, two brackets to connect an electric hoist to scaffold tubing up in the roof.

Pop a scaffold pipe sized hole through two pieces of box section, what could be easier. It's only 10 gauge

Couldn't find the ordinary box section, could only find stainless. Felt dread.

Lost a tooth or two on the bandsaw cutting it to length. £12.50 a blade.

Knew the mill wouldn't pierce it, decided to drill it 12mm first. Drill goes red hot and burns out.

Milling cutter doesn't want to open the slightly undersized hole out. It's bending the box section until it can stand no more then leaping back. Never seen that before. Turn off the CNC and drive it through by hand, cutter will never be the same after that.

CNC the hole bigger, table leaping all over the place. Ball screws displaced, backlash now 2mm, second part comes out undersize, table in need of repair.

Lock the slides and try to make it round with a boring head. The carbide tip soon shatters but there is one sharp edge remaining about 4mm back from the end and I get it done. This is becoming a war of attrition and I'm losing.

Now just 4 x 10mm bolt holes left to drill and I'm done. At that point I gave up for the night and came home.

Wonder how many drill bits I can nadger tomorrow.