Thread: Renovating a Hardinge HLV-H
Managed to assemble the apron today. It was a lot more work than I had thought, but got there in the end.
I used Loctite 5922 to seal the apron to the carriage (looks and smells just like hermatite but is black instead of red), seems to work well; no oil leaks so far :)
I have yet to find or make a core-plug to cover the carriage gear, but I have a novell idea based on the fact the hole is 1 1/8" - If it works, it'll raise a smile or two...
Cleaned and mounted the cross slide and compound slides yesterday & today.
Made a new cover for the coolant sump (the old one was missing) and primed a few parts for spraying tommorrow (if I get the time)
Sprayed, assembled and fitted the Coolant pump (had to make a new filter from some purf sheet) .
Sprayed and fitted the sump cover. The orignal one fitted to HLV's had a cover for the drain. I'm not sure if I'll bother with one, the holes in the drain are ~1/8" - I doubt I'll lose anything that small.
The spare Bijur oil metering unit arrived today from Central Surplus in the US. They turned out to be the wrong type but I was able to remove the little steel collar to replace the one I broke on my units.
With the metering unit repaired I could replace the Oiler distribution block. This was badly corroded by coolant, so I milled it flat on all sides.
I made a new knob for the oil pump from a cupboard door handle (I may make a better one later).
Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have another go at spraying the tail stock and control box.
Last edited by BillTodd; 19-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
I am amazed at the speed this is all happenning at, do you have nothing else to do?
Plus, it's stuck right in the middle of my workshop which is stopping work on the drill/mill cnc conversion.
And, I have a motorcycle parked in the conservatory which is generating a certain amount of "haven't you done that yet" pressure.
Ended up putting it on castors, Draper do fixed wheel castors rated 250kg apiece and you can get them at around £7.50 each if you shop around.
May not be best suited to a lathe, it could end up chasing you around the workshop if you went off centre, but as a temporary measure while fixing it up perhaps?
OTOH if it did chase you I'd want to see the video :D
20-03-2009 #38Ended up putting it on castors
I painted the control box and and (for the third time) the tail stock and power feed box. This time the paint looks OK :)
I had time to test the DRO (having mounted the Cross slide scale) and much to my disappointment found a fault - It was counting to 0.0004" then displaying 'Error'. A quick email to Richard at Axis returned some basic ohm-meter test routines.
After finding a small amount of corrosion in the scale-end connector I worked my up the lead to the 'water-proof' quick connect. It was solid with corrosion (see picture) I had to pick at it with a needle just to get the connector apart. The coolant has eaten the copper from the braided screen and a couple of the wires, leaving empty plastic sleeves ! I stripped back the cable to find it in the same condition, all but a inch or two from the scale end.
I bodged the connector back together soldering the last two inches of cable to the pins of the plug. Now the scale is working again.
Richard says Axis have spares, I am steeling my self for the price.
Tomorrow, I'll reassemble the tail-stock and collect closer.
Lovely day today, almost Spring like...:p
Assembled and fitted the collet closer.
Assembled and fitted the tailstock - Now I know why the power feed box is so massive; The tailstock is so heavy I had to rest it on the power feed box to be able to align it with the bed ('cos there's no way I could lift it at arm's length)
I don't like the handle on the tail stock it's not a Hardinge wheel (it looks someone knocked it up in an afternoon). I doubt I'll get a proper replacement anytime soon' so I've been looking at the Myford spares that RDG are selling. I think the largest one will do the job with only a small amount of re-jigging - It'll look a lot better then the current one.
Repainted the DRO mount. It looked heavy in matt black so I thought i'd try silver instead (it's OK I suppose )
Tomorrow I'll have a go at mounting the carriage DRO scale on the front of the bed.
Last edited by BillTodd; 21-03-2009 at 04:12 AM.
REBUILD: Hardinge HC rebuildBy northumbrian in forum Lathe Rebuild LogsReplies: 27Last Post: 29-11-2013, 05:53 PM
By pauly45 in forum Conversion Build LogsReplies: 22Last Post: 18-10-2013, 06:31 PM
WANTED: Hardinge hlv-h or Feeler 618By cookie in forum Items WantedReplies: 1Last Post: 26-02-2011, 08:09 PM
NEW MEMBER: Hardinge HLV-H LatheBy Roger Williams in forum New Member IntroductionsReplies: 1Last Post: 25-08-2009, 12:56 PM
By BillTodd in forum Milling Machines, Builds & ConversionsReplies: 13Last Post: 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM