. .
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by aafradio View Post
    Try breathing into a paper sack until the feeling passes...
    Rolls On Floor Laughing :)

2. I'm just waiting for you to mention the moment of amazement and exhilaration when you move the cross feed dial .0150" in 303 stainless and find the work has reduced in diameter by .0150".

For a 45 year old lathe, that's better than looking at a new paint job any day!

Of course, I was brought up on a 1942 South Bend Heavy 10, where any relationship between the dial settings and diameter reduction in multiple materials was a complex variable that could be analyzed only through advanced calculus...:D

3. Updated Circuit diagrams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Diagram 2of3.gif 
Views:	7677 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Diagram 3of3.gif 
Views:	1359 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	359  

4. Not much to photograph ATM, but...

I fitted a 4 jaw chuck (so I can make a backplate for a 3jc) which exacerbated the braking time problem; Essentially, the braking time for all speeds is determined by the time it takes from the highest speed, with the extra flying mass of the chuck I had to extend the brake time - I don't mind a ~6 second stop from 3000rpm, but the same from 125rpm is silly.

I emailed Siemens for advice on adding a braking resistor, to allow the VFD to brake harder, unfortunately my model VFD does not have the brake transistor fitted, so I can't do that. They were kind enough to suggest an alternative; an MM440 (@ £467), Keypad (£28), Brake resistor (£112 - expensive, even for a big resistor, I think) and a class A filter (£61). I thanked them for their help, but I won't be going down that road.

This morning I found, buried in among the 'JOG' parameters, in the Siemens VFD is an option to use the jog up/down ramp times instead of the normal ones; switching between the two settings with one of the digital inputs. A quick re-wire and now I have ~2s stop times from low speed and ~6.5s from High speed with chuck :)

It makes the whole lathe feel better. (must redo the youtube video)
    Last edited by BillTodd; 17-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by aafradio View Post
    I'm just waiting for you to mention the moment of amazement and exhilaration when you move the cross feed dial .0150" in 303 stainless and find the work has reduced in diameter by .0150".

For a 45 year old lathe, that's better than looking at a new paint job any day!

Of course, I was brought up on a 1942 South Bend Heavy 10, where any relationship between the dial settings and diameter reduction in multiple materials was a complex variable that could be analyzed only through advanced calculus...:D
    I am blown away by the finish I can get on ally - without even trying.

A while ago, I made a fly cutter for my drill/mill from a ~3/4" stainless-steel bolt on my '37 SB 415 (9") it struggled (as you can imagine a SS bolt is very hard) but it chewed enough off to do the job. The finish was awful

In a bored moment I dialled it into the HLV chuck and took it down to 14.000mm with a couple of passes :) BIG CHEESY GRIN

Name:	Speed Control Circuit.gif 
Views:	1806 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	364  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 17-04-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Adding Circuit Diagram

6. Hello aafradio it appears that you have not posted on our forums in days !
    Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with other members.
    Great things can come from the smallest of things !
    My goodness, I had no idea the forum requirements had such a high standard!

In the spirit of the message: Bill, have you altered the spectrum of your voice in the YouTube video with a synthesizer yet? I recommend using the spectrum distribution associated with James Earl Jones' voice in the Star Wars series. Very effective....

(I think I have satisfied the unseen voices now...)

7. In the spirit of the message: Bill, have you altered the spectrum of your voice in the YouTube video with a synthesizer yet? I recommend using the spectrum distribution associated with James Earl Jones' voice in the Star Wars series. Very effective....
    Odd thing, but to me, I sound just like JEJ (or Richard Burton) so it must be the microphone that makes me sound like a country bumkin ;)

8. I've pretty much finished the renovation now. I've just fitted the machine with castors so I can move it around the workshop until it fits somewhere.

The castors are just about man enough for the job, they'll allow me to get behind the machine and access the electrical box easily. I'll have to chock the machine with wedges once in position.

My brother gave me a nice little 80mm german(?) made chuck, so the first real job I used the lathe on was a chuck mount for the taper nose - I'll have to make myself a better boring bar though, I couldn't stop the little one I have squeaking and chattering.

Name:	Castors fitted.jpg 
Views:	1338 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castors fitted rear.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castors fitted front.jpg 
Views:	871 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80mm taper mount chuck.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80mm taper mount.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	383  

9. Finally got 'round to replacing the bird's nested control circuit with a proper PCB

Name:	Control Panel PCB.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new home.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	399  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 13-05-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Wow bill that is some wiring mate, shop is looking good to great job and all the best in the future machining. How soon do you hope to start turning your first part ?
    .Me

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information