. .
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Well one week after I started scraping and brushing the dirt off... I'm still scraping and brushing off dirt! Everytime I remove a badge or cover, there's congealed muck behind it.

I spent an hour Saturday freeing up the spindle lock microswitch mechanism (stops the spindle motor running while the spindle lock is engaged)

I can't make up my mind whether to strip the gearbox, headstock and bed off of the stand for painting. On the one hand it would be the proper way to do it. On the other, it would take an enourmous amount of extra effort for little gain.

As much as I would like to, I'm not trying to get this thing back to pristine condition, that would take more money and time than I have available right now So, the target is a clean, painted lathe in useable condition.

I'm investigating ways to power the various motors ATM Mike's step-up transformer into a 415v VFD looks favourite. The main motor is not easily replaced; it is dual speed 1480/480 rpm and balanced to 0.0003" (peak-peak)!

[Edit] At one point I was conviced there was a casting fault in the rear T slot. The muck was so solid I had to hammer at my T slot scraper to remove the stuff. I ought to report the previous users to the RSPCH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leadscrew off.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	1453 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.jpg 
Views:	1131 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor balanced with pulley to 0.0003 inches peak-peak .jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	243  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 23-09-2009 at 07:48 PM.

2. Great progress, Bill! I don't want to deflect you from a careful restoration, but like you, I was leaning toward a glossy repaint job with the lathe all broken down to its molecular level. However, I was anxious to try it out, so I used a spray can of primer that was the same color as the lathe (which had been repainted in a flat light gray color) and just touched up all the really bad looking parts, like the doors, tray, etc. That wuz around 8 years ago....

Speaking of VFDs, I just snagged a nice 2hp Cutler-Hammer 415-480v unit for my vertical bandsaw today on ebay for USD$30. With patience, they are out there.

- Mike

3. Hi, Mike,

I have the 415vac VFD but I'm having trouble locating a (cheap) step-up transformer over here. Most of the 'surplus' stores have disappeared over the last few years (killed off by high business rates I suspect) and heavy item like transformers tend not to be listed on ebay because of the cost of postage. Worst case, I'll buy a new one at ~£100.

That wuz around 8 years ago....
    Ha yes, these things only get one shot at completion. :)

4. Progress is a little slow ATM due to work commitments. I have done some work on the lathe, but none that is even slightly photogenic. I'm just at that 'preparing for paint' stage, the one that seem to take takes forever :(

5. Managed to get a little bit of rubbing down done today.

DA'd most of the loose paint off of the stand and started to fill the worst chips in the headstock.

My brother has loaned me his HVLP spray gun which, he assures me, will work with my limited air supply and not spread too much paint around the inside of the garage.

The stand is galvanised so will need self etching primer - nasty stuff - I don't think I'll try spraying it on.

Name:	rubbing down.jpg 
Views:	1129 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	253  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 26-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Looking good mate, hope you had a mask on while you sanded that down. Got an order waiting for you, cant have the machine operator faling sick on us at this stage in the game
    .Me

7. Rollered a coat of self-etch primer onto the stand. While that was drying I popped down to Gramic's to sort out some grey primer, thinners and top coat.

When I arrived back, I gave the stand a coat of grey primer, again with a roller.

I then spent a hour and half trying to get any paint at all out of the HVLP spray gun - it was just spitting it out -, before I realised the filter was clogged !!! (hey, I've not used one before and there are a million combinations of the knobs to try before the 'obvious' strikes)

But, I Finally managed to coat the the head in a initial layer of primer.

I now know that a) most of the little knicks and scratches will disappear under the paint b) I've completely missed rubbing down several places, and c) I've enough air to spray it - If I can get to grips with that ******ing HVLP gun.

Name:	primer 1.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primer 2.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	256  

8. Between visitors (why does everyone turn up while you're in the middle of painting?), I managed to roller on a layer of self-etch and grey primer onto the main tray today. It looks so much better painted :)

This evening I cleaned and rebuilt the compound slide - compare before and after :)

Name:	tray primed.jpg 
Views:	1146 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compound-slide before.jpg 
Views:	1334 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compound slide after.jpg 
Views:	2130 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	260  

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    This evening I cleaned and rebuilt the compound slide - compare before and after
    WOW, this is coming along very nicly mate, i did look at your other post and wonder if you would be doing the tray as well. Makes sense while your there huh.

Is that really the same unit (compound slide) ? what did you use to get it up so well it looks so much better.

awaiting the next events....
    .Me

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    WOW, this is coming along very nicly mate,
    Thanks Lee :)

i did look at your other post and wonder if you would be doing the tray as well. Makes sense while your there huh.
    There is a degree of madness in my method - I primed the tray last so as not to bash it about while preparing the head for spraying.

Is that really the same unit (compound slide) ? what did you use to get it up so well it looks so much better.
    Mostly a soft wire brush, wd40 and a 'scotch-brite' buffing wheel from RDG plus the lashings of elbow grease. :)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information