. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. The step up transformer arrived this morning (early - someone forgot to put the clocks forward?) .

I spent a few hours playing with the VFD, checking and testing how the various function would work when connected to the motor. Last night I had worked out a scheme that would allow the speed to be changed without slowing to a stop first (making the VFD 'catch' the spinning motor) ; It worked fine going from fast to slow, but wasn't at all happy the other way around :(

One irritation, the 0Hz (stopped) output function doesn't work as described in the manual - bizarrely, the relay contacts open (instead of close) to indicate the VFD has stopped driving the motor :confused: It's not a show stopper, but after I had pared down the control circuit to just one relay, it's annoying to have to add extra circuitry to work around it.

[edit] BTW I won the two 100W VFD I need to finish the control box. When they arrive I'll strip out the old panel and start rewiring.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    'I have a lathe that is basically running - what should I do now?'

Cut a thread!

I had to make a new M12 T nut to mount the little QCTP from my Southbend onto the Hardinge compound and find a spacer to bring it up the the correct height.

Turned and faced a piece of 16mm steel stock - First attempt at a 1/2" thread was a bit of a disaster; got the stop in the wrong place , disconnected the halfnuts to reposition it and, of course, b*****red the thread.

Turned it down to 3/8" - BTW if you haven't got a DRO on your lathe, get one. It makes turning things to size a doddle (it doesn't need to read down to 0.00005" :p). - got the threading stop almost in the right place... and Wow! now I see why HLV's have a reputation for easy threading.

So now I have a 3/8" 26tpi thread on the end of a bar :) Yes I know it's an odd thread ; it was supposed to be 24TPI but I had a parallax problem with the gear selector (Hardinge owners will know what I mean - I should have counted the holes instead of looking at the number on the plate :LOL:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first thread.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepup xforma and VFD.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	320  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 30-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Thread Information