. .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Well, that's sorta what I assumed, but my knee-flex reaction training always kicks in...heh, heh... :D

I always liked the lever action too, but one day a workpiece that was enduring a nasty interrupted cut because of its odd shape didn't think it was restrained well enough and escaped just past my ear at about the speed of sound. Ever since then I tend to stand over to the right of the potential workpiece ejecta path, which is why the VFD control is there on my lathe in the photo above.... How many LOCs to guard against that?:confused:

I'm just teasin' you, Bill. When I was younger I spent a lot of time designing stuff like that for the shop simply because it was fun to do. "Because it's there" is a perfectly good rationale for doing it at times. And I agree with your observation about personnel safety regulations in Western countries. I suspect that the end result will be working uniforms that look like the Michelin Man and padded rooms to prevent us from hurting ourselves if we stumble into a wall. Wait! That sounds like an insane asylum!

2. Just fitted the rewired control panel. :)

The control logic is just a bird's nest ATM while I test it, but it seems to work as advertised.

The photo shows the bird-nest logic and temporary 24v PSU (bottom right) I'll knock up a PCB for the two relays and PSU. I'll add a low voltage (50vac) transformer to power the work light and use (half) to power the logic.

All I have to do now is convert the speed adjust motor to 240v...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New control panel.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	340  

Looking very Nice indeed.

once i have finished mine, i will be doing the same type of thing.
    Good work !!

Jon

4. I don't know what convinced me that the speed jack motor was dual voltage (I thought it would be American, but it was made in Swansea) but, it ain't, and there's no easy way to convert it (I was prepared to carve into the insulation to find the star point but thought better of it when I saw it close up)

So, while plan B is gestating, I've implemented plan C and fitted a couple of contactors (one does the reversing, one connects the motor) to drive the Jack from the main VFD. (Stop laughing - Mike :))

While I was in the engine room playing with jack, I noticed a nick in my motor belt. I've just got of the phone with Ken at ZMT (Hi Ken) to enquire about a new one, so another £80 will be departing from my bank account soon.

Ken was also convinced that all the speed jack motors were dual voltage, which made me feel a little better.
    Last edited by BillTodd; 08-04-2009 at 10:11 PM.

5. Do I really sound like that???
    Last edited by BillTodd; 12-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Really good,
    have you played with the acceleration + deceleration and found those to be the best match for kindness to the machine vs speed of use. ?

how have you got over the mechanical brake fighting the programmed ramp down time ?

good progress i will post some pictures of mine soon (promise)

Jon:p

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan P View Post
    Really good,
    have you played with the acceleration + deceleration and found those to be the best match for kindness to the machine vs speed of use. ?
    Acceleration/deceleration times are determined by that required at max speed (which is a pain) Too short and the VFD will trip with an over-current or over-voltage fault. I may look into an external brake resistor for the VFD which should fix the over voltage problem.

I'm having to fight the idea of adding a micro to command the VFD; For a little extra work I could dynamically alter the VFD settings to match the lathe's speed. But, the relays work, so perhaps I'll just live with it the way it is.

how have you got over the mechanical brake fighting the programmed ramp down time ?
    I haven't ATM (although, the brake is only applied when the lever is in the stop position) I could easily take a feed from the 0Hz relay and apply the brake only when the motor is at rest (but corks are cheap, so WTH)

good progress i will post some pictures of mine soon (promise)

Jon:p
    I'm waiting

8. Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    So, while plan B is gestating, I've implemented plan C and fitted a couple of contactors (one does the reversing, one connects the motor) to drive the Jack from the main VFD. (Stop laughing - Mike :))
    Heh, heh...not laughing, just enjoying the innovative workarounds. Whatever does the job is good...and it works very well, judging by the YouTube page.

I am sorta wondering how long you can resist starting to make chips, though... The temptation would be overwhelming to me.

9. I am sorta wondering how long you can resist starting to make chips, though
    The 'newness' hasn't worn off yet,I don't want to get it dirty. ;)

10. Try breathing into a paper sack until the feeling passes...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information