Hi all

i am not new to cnc, i have built a small version once before from mdf but scrap it

i now need a requirement 8 x 4 cutting area actual size will 1500mm x 2500 with 450mm z axis for carving vac form plugs, prominently used for wood, ply, etc and for cutting alloy sheet to 12mm, where possible, plastics, foam etc basically an all rounder!

i will be starting this build in march, most of the stuff is on order and awaiting delivery

build consist of

hiwin/equivalent rails all round
4 nema 34 motors kit with breakout and stepper drivers 1600 oz
rack and pinion, - near help hear please with mounting brackets and gear reduction ideas????
2.2kw water cooled spindle er20 with vfd, but looking into a 3kw

this is where i have dilemma, i am not sure what to build the y and x base from as i need as much rigidity as possible to cut alloy/metal sheet

welded steel box for the base (x) ali on verticals

all from 8020 extrusion ( x and Y)

a hybrid of steel and 8020 and ali y/z verticals

and optimal height of gantry from table? as i need to be able to carve plugs up to 125mm in height from router tip

what grade/thickness of ali to use for the y/z gantry? and ali thickness

and help hear would not be rejected!

my main concern is frigidness of the gantry

i am also looking for volunteer/pay to help with cnc parts to be cut, i can help with any related IT issues as i am an IT engineer/Admin, no charge?

look forward to hearing from you all and all the suggestion and advice

would be great if i could meet up, or skype, i don't mind travelling, i live in Newark Notts

i will be posting design after i have got some advice