. .

Thread: RFQ TIG welding

This is on topic because I fully intend to finish the job with CNC.

I have a sick shotgun in need of some magic TIG glue. 12 gauge by Henry Tatham of London c1840 .

It's the hammers. The left had it's spur brazed on and the brazing broke. The right is off a very similar gun and the geometry is a tadge out, it hits it's end stop just before it reaches the nipple.

I bought new castings but they don't quite clear the fence and they don't have the width at the bottom.

I have a TIG but I lack the skill. I fear I would burn the crap out of it and make things worse.

I need a lump attaching which I can carve into a new spur, the old spur being lost in a Surrey wood.

I need the square mounting hole closing on t'other so I can cut a new hole rotated by a few degrees.

Panic not, the gun is completely legal and I only need send the hammers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgun.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	8057  

Are they cast iron??

They will be wrought iron, they predate Marshall's iron. Welds like a charm.

Like you, I have a TIG set. I also have a MIG set and served my apprenticeship as a fabricator/jig maker 20 years ago. HOWEVER, given the nature of the job and the fact that I'm "OK" with TIG (certainly not an expert), I'm a bit reluctant to offer help in case I make a balls up of it...

I got the name wrong, but digi-microscope and a bit of contrast adjustment reveals all..

I can see B TH?RS? which has to be Benjamin Thursfield of Hasluck's Buildings, Baggot Street, Birmingham 1859-69

Don't be put off by thinking this is valuable, without a case and rust marked it's probably worth £400 to £500 top whack. With a broken hammer you could halve that.
    Where's John S when you need him, I could pay him in HobNobs

Name:	Thursfield.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	8068  

if you get stuck robin i could give you some details to a chap who has his own small engineering firm and tigs any material,i mentioned your job to him this morning and he said hes often asked to do jobs for lads from the local gun club.

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    if you get stuck robin i could give you some details to a chap who has his own small engineering firm and tigs any material.
    Thanks for the offer but I'd already given up and got my son to TIG it. His welds are good but he's a bit generous with the rod so I have one hell of a filing job on my plate.
    This after about 2 hours worth

Name:	Thursfield2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	8115  

Dunno why you didn't TIG it yourself in the first place. You've gotta practice sometime.

Job looks good, despite him being generous with his rod.

Glad your sorted ,i went in for my ticket about 15 years back and havent touched tig since or id have offered,looks a nice job

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Dunno why you didn't TIG it yourself in the first place. You've gotta practice sometime.
    Doing TIG would involve reading the manual, too many knobs, I simply adjust Amps and hope for the best.

I am told one of the knobs controls the flux gate that feeds anti-matter plasma in to the warp coils.

Don't want to mess with that, if I disrupt the Higgs field we are all toast.

Thread Information