. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a small model RC cage which needs stripping down.

I have stripped about 70% of the paint off with a wire brush but I just cannot get in the nooks and crannies.

I've tried several pain strippers...Non of them touched it!

The paint isn't mega tough, A wire brush on a drill got the bulk off but it must be a cretin type of paint(not sure what) for paint stripper not to touch it.

I am in Manchester, Salford so if any one is Local to me it would help alot to save on shipping costs.

here is a picture for size reference

Thanks

Craig

Caustic soda, hot water and a bucket and leave it fo a couple of hours then take a wire brush to it :-)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Caustic soda, hot water and a bucket and leave it fo a couple of hours then take a wire brush to it :-)
    Tried that, didn't even touch it :(

Just made the steel go rusty instead.

sounds like you did not have it strong enough? you have to make sure it is thoroughly mixed, attack the paint with the wire brush every now and then so it works into the paint and it should come off easy. I've stripped quite a few machines this way and even powder coated ones.

I emptied a full bottle into just 3 liters of water, it was strong enough for me to have to leave the room for 10 minutes due to coughing like crazy.
    Admittedly it did soften the paint but not enough to actually get it off.

The main issue I have (and its why I havn't finished it with a wire wheel) is getting in the nuts and crannies...its just not possible with the wire brush or the wire wheel

The other option is to put some acetone into a bucket with a lid to seal it in for a while. The vapors alone should do the job? Thinners may work also?

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    The other option is to put some acetone into a bucket with a lid to seal it in for a while. The vapors alone should do the job? Thinners may work also?
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I did try thinners again it softened the paint a small amount (about the same as the caustic Soda) i have spent about £30 on chemicals, wire brushes, wheels and dremel bits so far.

I don't want to spend any more money 'experimening' now I would rather just get it done properly (sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh there)

Thanks for your input though I appreciate it!

Find a local powder coaters, they'll have shot blasting gear. And would probably do that for the price of a pint.

Im guessing a heat gun/or just burn it off and a fist full of wire wool would make light work of that.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Have you tried electrolysis? It works great for rust removal but I have never personally tried it on old paint. The internet seems to think it will work though.

Electrolysis Cleaning Method

Paint Stripping with Electrolysis p1o2 - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information