. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello,

I have some lens caps here and I'd like some simple shapes cut into them, I was wondering if you could help me out.

The caps are overall 6x6cm and the area on them for cutting is a mere 5x5cm. The thickness is about 2-3mm thick.

I've attached a picture of the sort of thing I want. So it would be a complete cut out. I can file it smooth on my end, I just need it cutting.

Other shapes I have is a star, christmas tree and flower.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3954.JPG 
Views:	611 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	8109

The designs need to be centred exactly in the middle of the inner circle on the lens cap.

If anyone can get back to me on my email or post here that would be good, cheers!

I'm in the Wiltshire area, by the way.

- Chris

Clamping something like that to a mill bed/vice would be a PITA. Personally, I think you'd be better off drilling/filing/sanding the shapes. Depending on the type of plastic, you might get decent results cutting it with a hot wire.

Dont know if it could be cut by laser without issues with the plastic? Not that I have a laser machine anyway but it might get around the clamping issue. This is the kind of thing I had in mind: Lasersaur by Nortd Labs

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Clamping something like that to a mill bed/vice would be a PITA. Personally, I think you'd be better off drilling/filing/sanding the shapes. Depending on the type of plastic, you might get decent results cutting it with a hot wire.
    Easy enough to make a little jig.

Doddle to do on a laser but depends on material, lasers can't do PVC

If you want to send me a sample cap and artwork I'd willingly bung one on the laser.
    John S -

Hi. if John has no luck with the laser I am sure I can make A jig and do it on the router (0.5mm cutter), but like John would need a sample and art work,
    preferably DXF. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Hi. if John has no luck with the laser I am sure I can make A jig and do it on the router (0.5mm cutter), but like John would need a sample and art work,
    preferably DXF. G.

As it's plastic this is probably my best bet - what does DXF. G. mean?

Thanks. If you email me with what you need from me I can email back :)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    "As it's plastic this is probably my best bet - what does DXF. G. mean?"

.DXF is a common drawing file format exchange and the G is probably short for Geoffrey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Spot on Clive!! Have sent PM. G.

OK sent an email but it all depends on the material. If it's hard plastic then it's probably OK, soft piable plastic may make it PVC which is a no no as it gives off poison gas and hydrochloric acid.

Simple heart shape like shown will take about 10 seconds to cut as being non contact it's very quick.
    John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information