. .

Thread: Cut quality

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for the info guys. I have been doing a bit of reading up on the subject and so far it seems like most prefer climb milling for rough cutting and conventional for the finish pass. I dont think I can change the cut type on Sheetcam TNG though but I've only been using it for a short time so maybe I've missed it. More test cutting required me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I have been doing a bit of reading up on the subject and so far it seems like most prefer climb milling for rough cutting and conventional for the finish pass.
    Mostly Climb milling gives better finish than conventional but Really depends on what your doing or more the type of cut and cutter length.
    For longer tools then rough-climb/conv-finish because conv gives less tool deflection but with shorter tools then it doesn't give better finish than climb.

Climb milling is easier on the tool wear and also requires less spindle power, throws chips backwards not forwards, tends to push work down not lift.
    Negative is it deflects the tool away from material so can be less accurate and why you should always use a small finish or spring pass. It's also not good for machines that are sloppy and have Backlash and will easily show in the finish quality if you have any. Also risk the tool breaking or material snatching due to cutter being pulled into material by the backlash amount if high backlash.!! . . Scary shit if bad.!!

When I'm working I'll use Conv if doing lots of full Slot work or higher than 75% step over has it's easier on the tool and climb for things like pockets etc where only 45-50% step over.
    I always finish with Climb unless very long tool.

Another thing I always do is only try to have just the amount of tool needed for cutting depth plus bit of clearance sticking out the collet. Tool deflection plays a big part in finish quality.

Thanks Jazz. I'm going to try a few things at the weekend to see if I can improve the cut quality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information