. .

Thread: Cut quality

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am cutting some spindle mounts for someone and although they will be happy with them I am trying to improve the cut quality.

This photo is of the bottom of the mount. The only difference between this edge and the others is that there was no material on the other side of the cutter. The cut was positioned close to the edge of the material so that I could get two parts out of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130203_163423.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	8130

The next photos show other edges of the cut which seem to show some vibration from the top down but it dissappears approximately half way down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130203_163454.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	8132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130203_163441.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	8131

The material is aluminium 20mm thick, 12000rpm, 700mm/min 1.5mm DOC with a 0.2mm finish pass. 6mm single flute cutter.

last 2 photos look like chip re-cutting/rubbing marks how was you clearing chips.?

I was following the cut round with the vacuum so I think I did a good job of clearing most of the chips. Gave it a fair amount of lub as well. But seeing as the first photo shows a good cut and this bit did not have anything to hold the chips in that might be the problem. I might have to rig up my compressor and try a bit of air blast to see if that helps.

Welcome to the club ;) If you already have an air compressor then it seems that is the best solution and I believe is what Jazz uses?

Can one use the normal water coolant nozzles (the blue flexible ones) for compressed air or are they too leaky?

P.S. you have a lot of cutters there WebGoblin! Do you sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I was following the cut round with the vacuum so I think I did a good job of clearing most of the chips. Gave it a fair amount of lub as well. But seeing as the first photo shows a good cut and this bit did not have anything to hold the chips in that might be the problem. I might have to rig up my compressor and try a bit of air blast to see if that helps.
    By the looks of the dents then I'd put a small wager on it.!! . . .Loads of air does the trick you have to blast the suckers away then bit of coolant just helps stop cutter stickage.!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Welcome to the club ;) If you already have an air compressor then it seems that is the best solution and I believe is what Jazz uses?

Can one use the normal water coolant nozzles (the blue flexible ones) for compressed air or are they too leaky?
    Leaky is not the problem I find with them it's they arent stiff enough and they move with the blow back pressure.!!

If it comes down to having to use air I have a compressor but its fairly big with a 100ltr tank. I dont fancy having to run it constantly. I wonder if a 280ltr/min magnetic air pump would push enough air to clear the chips away?
    The blue flexi connectors can be used for air. We use them on a few of our machines at work for exactly that and also for coolant.
    The cutters are boxes of drills and taps. I have loads of them and some are up for sale. Drills are from about 8mm to 23mm morse taper shank and taps are from 5mm to 16mm I think.

The cutters are boxes of drills and taps. I have loads of them and some are up for sale. Drills are from about 8mm to 23mm morse taper shank and taps are from 5mm to 16mm I think.
    What size morse.?

If I remember correctly they go from No1 for some of the smaller drill up to No3 for the larger ones.

If I remember correctly they go from No1 for some of the smaller drill up to No3 for the larger ones.
    PM me price if you have any large drills with No2 taper.

pm sent.

Wanted to just say pm sent but found out that I cant post a message of less than 10 characters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information