Hello folks.

The Z Axis of my CNC router is made, now looking at the Y Axis. I took some inspiration from a design that Jazz put up a while back and am keen to see if I can get to the point where I have a slot in the front plate of my Y Axis plate as per diagram. I don’t have many tools but I do have an 1100W Black and Decker hand router. The plate will probably be 1100mm by 200mm by 15mm. The slot is around 55mm wide.

*IF* I was to set up the plate in my workmate, secure it and set the router guides up correctly is it feasible that I could use the hand held router to cut this hole into say 15mm Aluminium (Eco cast) plate? I can’t face all the chain drilling (and filing
) that I'd need to do using my drill press and I got a quote from a local engineering company to do this for around 70 pounds which is more than I want to spend. Plus although it feels a bit mad to attempt it by hand, I think it might be fun.

Any thoughts?

Finally, if it is feasible, can anyone recommend the type of cutter I'd need? Thanks for looking. Tony.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD_CNC_Y_Axis.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	8203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD_KW850E_.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	8204