. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    ok, so here's the billion dollar question.

I'd like to cut 30mm ally plate by laser, how big a laser do i need?

i2i these guys look like they might have one .. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldfinger.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	8242

I have no idea but I thought I would bump it with this .. forgive me :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    a good bump

Some of James Bonds' "friends" might be able to help you out!!! G.

5. For 30mm Alloy id say around 3kw+ Mazak do a nice one for around £600,000+ Vat Bargain ;-)

7kw will get you through 20mm of alloy.. So the laser will be a lot larger than a water jet that would do the job.

About 12 Kw and I don't think there is one in the UK

AFAIK there are a couple of 7Kw models but nothing bigger
    John S -

Im not sure that that 30mm thick alu can be laser cut, it would require a huge amount of power. The thickest I have heard of is 20mm and that was done with 7KW. We have a 3KW CO2 and its limit would be 6 or 8mm alu but it doesnt have an ATFR so we dont cut alu with it. We dont want to risk damaging the optics and output coupler with a back reflection. When you get above the 7KW range these lasers tend to be used for welding rather than cutting. If I get a chance I will speak to our laser service engineer today and see if he has heard of anyone cutting 30mm alu. Plasma or water jet would be the way to go then machine the edges if required.

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post
    For 30mm Alloy id say around 3kw+ Mazak do a nice one for around £600,000+ Vat Bargain ;-)
    I'll take two, do they come in different colours...

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Im not sure that that 30mm thick alu can be laser cut, it would require a huge amount of power. The thickest I have heard of is 20mm and that was done with 7KW. We have a 3KW CO2 and its limit would be 6 or 8mm alu but it doesnt have an ATFR so we dont cut alu with it. We dont want to risk damaging the optics and output coupler with a back reflection. When you get above the 7KW range these lasers tend to be used for welding rather than cutting. If I get a chance I will speak to our laser service engineer today and see if he has heard of anyone cutting 30mm alu. Plasma or water jet would be the way to go then machine the edges if required.
    water jet or plasma sounds good, i'll look into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information