. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I have got several downloaded demo versions of Cad/Cam software. Vectric cut2d seems initially to easiest to use, but all of them seem to lack a grid of metric measurements, so drill hole placings can be just created and moved via the mouse to the specific locations. They seem to have X and Y references, but this is very time consuming. Is this maybe because the demo versions are limited ?

That's why I prefer to use a dedicated CAD program to do my drawings, then import them into the CAM program using the .dxf format. CAD programs tend to have better drawing tools so this system is generally faster.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

As Jonathan says what you already have downloaded is really just cam software to produce the G code, yes they have some basic cad functions but they are basic & if you are looking for something with better drawing tools then you need to look at a proper design or cad package.
    Do the design work in a vector based drawing program then import into cam software as dxf, eps, ai, pdf or what ever file formats can be imported.
    Generate the code in the cam package & export to Mach3

I know all the Vectric softare is well received but it's a little bit too 'eye candy' for me & I soon got fed up with the constant mouse/windows selection actions & drop down boxes etc.

Cambam is perhaps a good 'middle ground' application for a new user ....it's got some basic CAD functionality, but it also is very good at CAM.

That said, whilst I use cambam for the CAM aspect, for my needs, it's CAD capabilities are still a tad lacking vs. a full blow CAD package & so I tend to create a DXF file in CAD then import it into CAM - but if you're just after basic CAD'ing then CAMing (& I think CAMBAM excels at the CAM aspect), then it's a good contender.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ok, I tried "E machine shop" as CAD, and then as CAM Vectric CUT2D. That was a lot easier . Although I couldn't export the Gcode to Mach3 as I only have the demo version of Cut2d. But I managed to make a simple rectangle with accurate pockets and drill holes in metric. Cambam seems a reel headache to me. (probably my age)

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Ok, I tried "E machine shop" as CAD, and then as CAM Vectric CUT2D. That was a lot easier . Although I couldn't export the Gcode to Mach3 as I only have the demo version of Cut2d. But I managed to make a simple rectangle with accurate pockets and drill holes in metric. Cambam seems a reel headache to me. (probably my age)

Well I'm no spring chicken! But having gone through a similar analysis phase about 18 months ago, i found Vectric to be very slick & pleasing on the eye....but then when I wised up I realised that all the eye candy 'window/GUI centric' approach was just a pain in the arse - especially when you need to do something very basic like move cuts about (not sure if an IT analagy would be appropriate, but normally when doing repetitive IT jobs, it's far easier/zippier to do things from a command line vs a windows driven approach).

Having trialled a lot of programs, I was blown away at how cambam sped up my workflow... I agree it's probably a bit of a learning curve (& you have to get into the mindset of the program!), but worth a couple of nights put by getting to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Well I'm no spring chicken! But having gone through a similar analysis phase about 18 months ago, i found Vectric to be very slick & pleasing on the eye....but then when I wised up I realised that all the eye candy 'window/GUI centric' approach was just a pain in the arse - especially when you need to do something very basic like move cuts about (not sure if an IT analagy would be appropriate, but normally when doing repetitive IT jobs, it's far easier/zippier to do things from a command line vs a windows driven approach).

Having trialled a lot of programs, I was blown away at how cambam sped up my workflow... I agree it's probably a bit of a learning curve (& you have to get into the mindset of the program!), but worth a couple of nights put by getting to know it.
    Maybe it is an age thing, don't forget not everyone has the same sort of It background you do. I would imagine in your job software plays a big part so learning new software dealing with code is bread & butter stuff for you. I had a look at cambam & I am sure it is a very good program, if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many people using it but at the moment I don't have the time to sit down & spend the time learning it. That's not to say that I won't use it in the future but by then I will have a much better idea what I am doing when generating toolpaths so may find it easier to learn at that point.
    Cut2d is a bit flashy I agree but if you are completely new to all this it is easy to use which is what I really need just now at an early stage.

Is the Cambam demo version limited ? . I imported a DXF file (2d) from "Emachine shop" into Cambam / highlighted the vectors and created a gcode, but I cant find anyway to input drilling dimensions. When I run the gcode in Mach, the basic shape is there but the drilling seems corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Is the Cambam demo version limited ? . I imported a DXF file (2d) from "Emachine shop" into Cambam / highlighted the vectors and created a gcode, but I cant find anyway to input drilling dimensions. When I run the gcode in Mach, the basic shape is there but the drilling seems corrupted.
    To set a drilling routine, after importing your DXF file, highlight the points on your design that you wish to drill (they need to be points - it they aren't points on your dxf, just goto menu 'draw' then 'point' & click points on your design where you wish to drill), ok, now with these points selected, then click on the browny/orange 'drill' icon at the top of the page (2nd from the right icon ...or alternatively from the menu 'machining then 'drill') ...immediately after doing this, you'll get a new table entry created on the bottom left hand side of your screen called drill (under machining)...you set all the parameters for that partiular drill routine in there (depth, drill size, plunge rate etc).

For me the fantastic thing about cambam is the speed with which you can hide/show 'groupings' of your design - either in the drawing iteself or the machining aspect (eg hide some of the cuts, hide the drilling routines, or show only the design outline etc) ...sure such functionality is normally available within other cad/cam apps ...but it's nowhere near as quick to manipulate (for example mastercam - complete nightmare to rename different levels of your drawing quickly ...and that costs more than a family car!)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 17-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    ...immediately after doing this, you'll get a new table entry created on the bottom left hand side of your screen called drill (under machining)...you set all the parameters for that partiular drill routine in there (depth, drill size, plunge rate etc).
    I get nothing here. I do as you instruct, press the "Drill" button, then on the left column the Drill shows under machining. I cannot get anything that lets me alter depth,drill size,plunge rate. I double click on the "drill" on the left hand column, but nothing happens.
    Last edited by dudz; 17-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information