. .

Thread: Engraving brass

What should I look for when it comes to engraving brass? Its only basic nameplates in 1mm brass, but what kind of feed/depth of cut should I use with a 1mm endmill or 60 degree carbide cutter?

Whats the best type to get for this and what is the best method for holding it down? Will carpet tape work for brass?

Thanks, Phil

unless the brass sheet is perfectly flat you will get uneven engraving. A better result would be to use a drag engraver. Best to use a dedicated tool that will allow for uneven sheet, I think they use some form of spring loading.
    On my gravograph the cutter has a holder that has a larger face area that bears onto the sheet to be engraved with just the tip of the cutter showing this allows the depth of the engraving to be adjusted, only downside is that it can sometimes mark the surface.

Peter

From what I have been told by various suppliers you need to buy engravers brass so you would need to ask for that or tell the supplier it is for engraving purposes. Don't know what the difference is other than price.

You want to buy Compo brass or CZ120 as it's also called. I'm sure it contains a small amount of lead to help with machining. I bought a sheet from Engravamet - Google the name for details

Thread Information