. .

Thread: College Project

Hello, I am new to this forum.
    For a College Machining Project I have been asked to initially recommend a CNC Router Kit that can be purchased and self assembled. Ideally based on Open Source scenarios. The objectives also suggest that I should NOT seek to source a kit that is beyond the basic needs as this would be considered as capability beyond requirement. Below are the parameters for the Kit:-
    Able to cut 400x400mm fiberboard 3mm thick. The board would never be bigger than this.
    The kit must come with the components already configured and parts defined and fabricated. The first Project goals include assembling the CNC Router from this kit form. The bulk of the Project relates to designed and machined items based on the understanding of CAD and GCODE.
    I hope you are able to steer me in the right direction. Cost of kit (lowest) also an objective given to me; as several kits would likely be purchased. Thanks
    Sean

It's unfortunate that the cutting area needs to be square as most machines at the budget end are rectangular. The CNC3040 would have done the job otherwise. Look at CNC6040. Search eBay. These look as though they are ready made but when I bought one it came in about 4 parts that needed screwing together - is that self assembly?

Maybe search around Kick Starter I think there are a few CNC projects there.

Hi Tenson
    Thanks for reply.
    I see some bad press about the 3040 when I google.
    Are there no uk made alternatives?.
    Dont I still need to source motors and cutters etc?
    I will check to see if size can be smaller.
    S

375 x 275 would be a max size acceptable.. does this change things?

The CNC3040 is brilliant for the cost, easily capable of milling wood and plastics. It comes with everything you need, motors, spindle, control boards. You need to screw some bits together but not a lot. Mine came in three parts I think - frame, gantry and bed. Oh and the control box.

Have a look here, too - Project ShapeOko: a $300 complete cnc machine. by Edward Ford — Kickstarter
    Last edited by Tenson; 25-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Looks like the shapeoko now up to 600 dollars

any other options?. 300 dollars would fit well

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Try eshapeoko

eShapeOko Kits - MakerSlide Europe - (Powered by CubeCart)

It is a reworked design that is a bit stiffer and ships from the UK. Worth bearing in mind that most kits don't include electronics, motors, spindle, power supply, cabling, computer etc so if you need to work out a budget expect to add quite a lot to the £199 kit to get a working cnc machine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Thread Information