. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Just a quick stupid question, what software do you use to analyze stress? is that part of the AutoCad package?

Regards,
    dsc.

I'm using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 :)
    Just... One more project...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:

Ok, had a play with some more CAD :)

Deleted the side rails & related
    Got rid of the aluminium bed
    Added more bars for a new bed
    changed the rails for slightly longer ones
    Added bolted section to allow fine tuning of angles

Some pics:

I'm guessing this is the Spindle I want to go for :)

WATER-COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR 2.2KW AND INVERTER VFD DRIVE FOUR BEARING | eBay

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Yup that is the one.

If you are mounting a metal frame on top of two bits of what looks like wood... Don't.

Wood swells and expands depending on moisture content, the arrangement you have will warp the frame and throw your rails out of alignment. You also have your linear rails going over a joint. Don't do that either, unless you are going to take your frame to a big engineering shop and have the whole thing surface ground you will have zero chance of fitting the rails properly with that arrangement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Ok, wood is out

Ah ok, good point about the rails! I'll shorten them back down.

Shortened the rails.
    Changed the bed from being welded to bolted, not quite finished yet.
    Changed the angles from box section to plate.
    Added bolted gantry cross beams
    Added bolts to attach gantry to rails. Had to enlarge box section on top of sliders to 60mm, 5mm wall.

I need to get round to sorting the materials. I have the box section all set to mild steel, but all the fixings and rails are just set to a generic high strength steel.

Current weight of what's on the screen ~55kg

Will there be more frame work to that base frame.? If not then then you'll need to be sure what ever it sits on is 100% flat and true other wise that frame will easily twist and put the rails on different planes.
    Profiled linear rails don't tolerate twist (Or bend) very well and will bind to some degree. Doesn't take much to lock them up solid.!!

One other thing I see thru experience of mostly cutting Aluminium is that chips get fired every where and with this design the profiled rails are in direct firing line. They will act has stops and chips will collect building up in the profile of the rail. While the bearings will mostly push these out the way some of them will get thru and into the bearings, which over time will considerably reduce the bearings life. Over time It will also have an affect on finish quality because it will reduce the bearings smooth running causing notchyness that passes thru to the cutter.!

You could get away from this very easily with a slight design change to how gantry mounts to bearings.? Instead of using the short piece of Box section has riser then make that piece full length of the machine and mount directly onto the frame. Put the linear rails on this then mount the gantry to the bearings directly using a plate to replace the short box section.
    The plate could be 20mm Ali or 10mm steel either would work ok. Personally I'd use Ali plate has welding thick to thin steel creates heat distortion and make the Triangle brackets out of Box section along with larger Triangle plates for strength. (see pic)

This one change will give several advantages other than moving the rails out of direct firing line.?
    #1 Increase travel 100mm because rails can now go right to end of machine.
    #2 Make aligning rails parallel and planner to each other easier by simply shimming or adjusting the Long piece of box section.
    #3 Make gantry mounting and bolt access easier.
    #4 Will be stronger and looks neater.
    #5 Easy future height clearance upgrade if required by simply inserting another piece of box section or spacer between bed frame and linear rail box section.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	husky.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	8315  

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Will there be more frame work to that base frame.?
    Yeah, Originally I planned to lay it atop some massive ass bits of wood. But it seems that this is a bad idea... So I need to draw up some legs and cross braces etc for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You could get away from this very easily with a slight design change to how gantry mounts to bearings.? Instead of using the short piece of Box section has riser then make that piece full length of the machine and mount directly onto the frame. Put the linear rails on this then mount the gantry to the bearings directly using a plate to replace the short box section.
    The plate could be 20mm Ali or 10mm steel either would work ok. Personally I'd use Ali plate has welding thick to thin steel creates heat distortion and make the Triangle brackets out of Box section along with larger Triangle plates for strength. (see pic)
    I had to read it a few times to get what you meant but figured it out in the end haha.

Thanks for the info, I'll get drawing! :)
    Last edited by Husky; 02-03-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Ok, drawings changed.

Added bolts etc
    Changed gantry runners
    Changed gantry sides

Last edited by Husky; 02-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information